Topic: I need help ugrading to the new CutePHP

Hi there,

We have version 1.4.6 and I am trying to upgrade with a clean version to the newest one, however I don't want to loose the data we have before.  The upgrade instructions are not clear to me and now there is a new folder called "cdata".  I don't want to overwrite my data, but could someone tell me which files I need to overwrite from my old version to the new version including username and passwords?  I think I want to back-up my old CuteNews, install the clean newest version, then overwrite some of the files with my old CuteNews.

If anyone could help me, that would be great.  I tried to install it and it did not work properly.

Re: I need help ugrading to the new CutePHP

I'm with you... The upgrade instructions are not that clear, especially for upgrading from 1.4.x to 1.5.3.

You can upgrade directly from CuteNews 1.4.6/1.4.7 or UTF-8 Cutenews to CuteNews 1.5.3

<ol type='1'> * Before you start, you should backup your complete CuteNews directories on your webspace - I recommend you to download it to your local harddisk.
* Upload the new CuteNews 1.5.3 to a new folder, eg. "NewCutenews". You can also use the old folder, because the new CuteNews 1.5.x uses cdata-folder instead of data-folder, it will not overwrite data of CuteNews 1.4.x, but I recommend you to use a new directory temporarily.
* Run path to NewCutenews/migrate_to_latest.php and enter the path to your old CuteNews installation.
It has to be the root path! e.g. E:/programs/apache/htdocs/cutenews  or  /customers/homepages/13/d965237458251/htdocs/cutenews
To find out the root path, you can upload and run a test.php file with

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

in it. Run the test.php script and search for SCRIPT_FILENAME to get the root path.
* After migration you will be forwarded to the new CuteNews - have a look at your data and check if everything's still there.
* When everything is alright, rename your old cutenews folder to "OldCutenews" and rename the new cutenews-folder "NewCutenews" to the old name, e.g. "cutenews".
* Finished. Your includes within your website should still work. If your website works well, you can delete the folder "OldCutenews" on the webserver.
</ol>

THANK YOU so much!!  All your steps worked perfectly and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain each one.  Good job.  And I learned about phpinfo() in the process!  Score all around.