Topic: Install issue with sha256.php

Hi,
I have been searching for a forum for a project I am working on, I downloaded and installed Cutenews.  Installed the cutenews directory with all the files , changed permissions (chgmod), and ran install.   Received an error message and was advised to download and install sha256.php.  I did so, installed it into cutenews/inc.  Although there were no further instructions other than to install the file, I ran install again.

When I did so. I received the following error:

Warning: spw_hash(): Unable to access ../inc/sha256.php in /home/zampello/www/cutenews/inc/functions.inc.php on line 599

Warning: spw_hash(../inc/sha256.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/zampello/www/cutenews/inc/functions.inc.php on line 599

Fatal error: spw_hash(): Failed opening required '../inc/sha256.php' (include_path='.:/php/includes') in /home/zampello/www/cutenews/inc/functions.inc.php on line 599

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Install issue with sha256.php

Bump on this,  nobody?  Nothing?  Has anyone else used hte SHA256 hash function?

Thx

Bump on this,  nobody?  Nothing?  Has anyone else used hte SHA256 hash function?

Thx

You should not need to install this into cutenews.
What error message were you getting when you were told to install it?

The hash function should be implemented in your php install on your server.
Ask your host to enable hash support.

OK,  I deleted the directory and started from scratch.

1, downloaded and unzipped cutenews

2 uploaded the cutenews folder with WS_FTE to the WWW folder, CHMOD the cutenews folder and all folders under it to 777

3 directed my browser to mywebsite.com/cutenews/index.php
       Got the welcome screen,  Proceeded with installation...Checked file and folder permissions, all folders came back as Writable,  Proceeded with Installation

4 Crated Admin password etc. finished the installation.

5 Went to the login page, logged in.   

As soon as I logged in I received the following error message:

You are running a version inferior to PHP 5.1.0 or PECL 1.1, which means that CuteNews cannot use SHA-256 by default.
The workaround, however, is very easy and can be found with detailed instructions under the following URL:
» http://korn19.ch/coding/utf8-cutenews/sha256.php

6, I followed the link to korn19.ch...and found this information.   

UTF-8 CuteNews And SHA-256
SHA-256 is a powerful one-way hash method which is used as of UTF-8 CuteNews v9.0 to encrypt passwords. This function is not integrated in PHP 4 by default, which is why an additional file must be downloaded.

» Download (5 KB)

After downloading, extract the file sha256.php and put it in the /inc/ folder of your CuteNews installation.

I downloaded  and unzipped sha256.php and with it was a text file containing the following instructions:

The file contained in this .zip file is necessary as of UTF-8 CuteNews v9.0
if you are using a version inferior to PHP 5.1.0 or PECL 1.1.
The workaround is extremely simple, just follow these few steps:

1. Extract the file sha256.php
2. Upload it into the /inc/ folder of your UTF-8 CuteNews folder

Now you're ready to go!

7, With WS_FTP I opened up cutenews and found cutenews/inc

8, I transferred sha256.php into cutenews/inc.

9, I went back to mysite/cutnews/index.php to log in. 

Upon logging in I recieve the following error:

Warning: spw_hash(): Unable to access ../inc/sha256.php in /home/zampello/www/cutenews/inc/functions.inc.php on line 599

Warning: spw_hash(../inc/sha256.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/zampello/www/cutenews/inc/functions.inc.php on line 599

Fatal error: spw_hash(): Failed opening required '../inc/sha256.php' (include_path='.:/php/includes') in /home/zampello/www/cutenews/inc/functions.inc.php on line 599

Any thoughts?

The simplest solution is to ask your host to update your version of php.
Then use cutenews 1.5.3.

The simplest solution is to ask your host to update your version of php.
Then use cutenews 1.5.3.

Hmm, well OK. but I did download 1.5.3, and it says that I can make use of sha256.php, but I cannot make it work.  Rather than find a way to avoid the error, is it not better for all if the error is identified, fixed, declare victory and move on?

If no one in the know bothers to work on this problem, will I be the only one to ever see it? Probably not.

If I really wanted to take the easy way out, I would stick with YABB which I use now, but I am searching for a smaller package as my current project will likely not grow very large and will not need a ton of features.  There are not many flat forums out there and fewer that actually work and have decent support.  I was gambling that Cutenews was one of them.

Dear User!

It seems that you use cutenews utf-8. There is no requirement for sha256.php in the cutenews 1.5.3 package. Maybe, a bug occurred when you've changed some files. Please consider the following guideline:

а. Create a backup.
b. Remove all the files and folders related to the cutenews, except the data and new files with switching on show_news.php, etc. folders.
c. Install the new cutenews.

Best regards,
CN Support team

Dear User!

It seems that you use cutenews utf-8.

Thank you Admin for the reply.  I am confused with your comment regarding cutenews utf-8.  I downloaded 1.5.3, are you indicating I downloaded the wrong package?  Because I have downloaded it twice now, and installed it twice.  Note that I have no need to create a back up as the program never became operational, so no data was collected.

I will remove all of cutenews one more time, download a fresh copy of cutenews and go through the process again.

Thank you again for the reply.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

CutePHP Forums → Problem Solving / Help & Support → Install issue with sha256.php

The pun_antispam official extension is installed. Copyright © 2003–2009 PunBB.