1 (edited by 2014-02-09 03:57:08)

Topic: A gentle word from a news editor

Hi 

I am deeply grateful to all who have worked on building Cutenews as a publishing system.

May I take the liberty of offering a suggestion or two as someone who has over 30 years direct experience in the world of news writing and editing . . . and who worked with one of the very first newspapers in the world to switch over to computers and 'direct input' ...

Cutenews versions 1.4/5 are still plagued by the CSRF bug that prevents it being used on later editions of browsers and php. I have also encountered the CSRF failure in V2 ....

I have been using Cutenews since its very first version and recently had to upgrade to V2, as all other versions failed to work correctly.

I have been completely unable to successfully upgrade or migrate  to a fully functioning version of V2.

In fact after many hours of trying to upgrade, I have now effectvely 'lost' more than 10 years of archived material.

I still have the archives OK, in the ealier formats, but can you imagine manually entering over 10 years of archived material?.

One of the great benefits of versions 1.4 and 1.5 was that you could manually edit both the user and the category databases.

As I have over 180 users and over 200 categories, you can see that such an ability is priceless to keep the categories in some sort of workable order on both the drop down and the menu listings.

Such a process is now not possible in V2 and that is a major drawback in using Cutenews in any sort of production environment.

When I attempted to upgrade and migrate, the categories became jumbled up.

On completing the migration I also found that V2 did not operate at its full capacity in several respects.

The only alternative now is for me to work from a fresh install, manually entering all users and categories by hand - that's nearly 400 entries  to plough through.

And then when the time comes to add say another user or category, it is impossible to slip them into any sort of order and they must be entered at the end of the lists.

As you will appreciate, with over 200 ordered categories of news, by subject and country, that is not an ideal situation.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention as somone who actually does know the full ins and outs of what is needed from a news publishing system.

I know news and editing inside out - you guys know coding !! 

Hoping you can take this on board.

Best Wishes
K

Re: A gentle word from a news editor

Hi 

I am deeply grateful to all who have worked on building Cutenews as a publishing system.

May I take the liberty of offering a suggestion or two as someone who has over 30 years direct experience in the world of news writing and editing . . . and who worked with one of the very first newspapers in the world to switch over to computers and 'direct input' ...

Cutenews versions 1.4/5 are still plagued by the CSRF bug that prevents it being used on later editions of browsers and php. I have also encountered the CSRF failure in V2 ....

I have been using Cutenews since its very first version and recently had to upgrade to V2, as all other versions failed to work correctly.

I have been completely unable to successfully upgrade or migrate  to a fully functioning version of V2.

In fact after many hours of trying to upgrade, I have now effectvely 'lost' more than 10 years of archived material.

I still have the archives OK, in the ealier formats, but can you imagine manually entering over 10 years of archived material?.

One of the great benefits of versions 1.4 and 1.5 was that you could manually edit both the user and the category databases.

As I have over 180 users and over 200 categories, you can see that such an ability is priceless to keep the categories in some sort of workable order on both the drop down and the menu listings.

Such a process is now not possible in V2 and that is a major drawback in using Cutenews in any sort of production environment.

When I attempted to upgrade and migrate, the categories became jumbled up.

On completing the migration I also found that V2 did not operate at its full capacity in several respects.

The only alternative now is for me to work from a fresh install, manually entering all users and categories by hand - that's nearly 400 entries  to plough through.

And then when the time comes to add say another user or category, it is impossible to slip them into any sort of order and they must be entered at the end of the lists.

As you will appreciate, with over 200 ordered categories of news, by subject and country, that is not an ideal situation.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention as somone who actually does know the full ins and outs of what is needed from a news publishing system.

I know news and editing inside out - you guys know coding !! 

Hoping you can take this on board.

Best Wishes
K

I wish you luck, Its got to be frustrating.  As this is a free (more or less) profuct though you get what you pay for.    https://cutephp.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif    Not trying to be mean but I see alot of questions being posted on the forums and no answers ...........................  Good Luck in either case.

3 (edited by 2014-02-21 16:01:46)

Re: A gentle word from a news editor

I wish you luck, Its got to be frustrating.  As this is a free (more or less) profuct though you get what you pay for.    https://cutephp.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif    Not trying to be mean but I see alot of questions being posted on the forums and no answers ...........................  Good Luck in either case.

Thank you.

Finally got the system fully working (v2) except for the search facility.

Rgds