Topic: HELP: Permissions Issue

In attempt to fix the permissions for the new version of cutenews (which after further research cannot be upgraded because the verion of php is ancient and I do not have the ability to upgrade the version of php as this server is owned by the school), I messed up the permissions of the existing version of cutenews.

The version of cutenews is 1.4.6, and the error:
Warning: fopen(./data/news.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in (folder) addnews.mdu on line 309
and continues repeatedly:
Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in (folder)  on line 310, 311, ect...

I entered the following commands in the terminal:
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>
find /Volumes/volume\$/ -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
find /Volumes/volume\$/ -type f -exec chmod 0666 {} \;
</div>
Which I now realize applied the permissions to the entire volume$ directory.
Now, when anyone tries to post new news, they get the above error:

How do I go about fixing this?

Re: HELP: Permissions Issue

In attempt to fix the permissions for the new version of cutenews (which after further research cannot be upgraded because the verion of php is ancient and I do not have the ability to upgrade the version of php as this server is owned by the school), I messed up the permissions of the existing version of cutenews.

The version of cutenews is 1.4.6, and the error:
Warning: fopen(./data/news.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in (folder) addnews.mdu on line 309
and continues repeatedly:
Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in (folder)  on line 310, 311, ect...

I entered the following commands in the terminal:
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>
find /Volumes/volume\$/ -type d -exec chmod 0755 {} \;
find /Volumes/volume\$/ -type f -exec chmod 0666 {} \;
</div>
Which I now realize applied the permissions to the entire volume$ directory.
Now, when anyone tries to post new news, they get the above error:

How do I go about fixing this?

CHMOD all files in the data folder to 755

Re: HELP: Permissions Issue

CHMOD all files in the data folder to 755

Tried this in terminal, not sure if I have permissions set correctly still.  Terminal ls -la for the data directory has -rwx listed next to all files and drwx next to all directories.  Not sure if there is a way to check otherwise.  Please advise.