Topic: Errors logging in to 1.4.6 CN in sep directories from working 2.0.2

I'm new to CuteNews and have just started adding articles to a web site that I've taken over from someone else (thanks to several here for the help getting started). Sorry for the long post, but I like to offer as much info up front to minimize the number of questions needed to diagnose the problem.

The site has an English version, and also a Spanish, Russian and Chinese language versions.  They are in different directories and so  logically it seems to me they would be using discrete installations of CN each in their own directories, and that's what the file structure indicates to me.  The first thing I did in the English site was to upgraded from 1.x-something to 2.0.2 because of the notice of important security fixes, and after a little tinkering that is working fine. The English version is in ../Anna/English/News/.

But now I'm trying to log in to the other language sites, and I'm getting errors. They are not upgraded, but I don't know whether that should matter, I would think they would operate independently of each other. If I got to the directory where CN is in the other language directories, the login screen shows up, but there is also the message "Warning: Invalid language value". Now, the news on those other sites is in another language and (at least in the case of Russian and Chinese) a different character set, but all the interface and CuteNews menus seems at first blush to be in English (which would be sensible because, of course, all the translators speak English). I am still waiting to hear back from the former webmaster as to exactly how the logistical workflow worked for translating the various versions (I am using my own new set of translator, his were not offered to me), but as I understand it CN interface is in English, so I should be able to log in to all the sites. I could be mistaken about that, I suppose. The language sites are using 1.4.6, the English version was using 1.5.1 before I upgraded.

If I go ahead and log in to the language sites, I get the following error messages when logging into Spanish version in ../Anna/Spanish/News/, and the Russian version in ../Anna/Russian/News/

Warning: Invalid language value.
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/anna/public_html/spanish/news/inc/functions.inc.php:85) in /home/anna/public_html/spanish/news/index.php on line 116

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/anna/public_html/spanish/news/inc/functions.inc.php:85) in /home/anna/public_html/spanish/news/index.php on line 122

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/anna/public_html/spanish/news/inc/functions.inc.php:85) in /home/anna/public_html/spanish/news/index.php on line 123

It brings up a main page with menu for adding or editing news, etc., but any option I click brings back the login menu, but not the same one I got on the main English site, both  before and after I upgraded.  This is what it looks like

http://fotosportif.com/images/misc/screen1.jpg
So far can't log in to Chinese version, but it's likely same problem there.

Advice on what is causing this, and how I fix it?

Re: Errors logging in to 1.4.6 CN in sep directories from working 2.0.2

The banner at the bottom shows that this installation is a fork of cutenews called utf8 cutenews which is not supported here.
Try here
http://korn19.ch/coding/utf8-cutenews/

The banner at the bottom shows that this installation is a fork of cutenews called utf8 cutenews which is not supported here.
Try here
http://korn19.ch/coding/utf8-cutenews/

Thanks, I'll see what I can figure out. Before I go there, do you happen to know if I can upgrade from that to cutenews 2.0.2 the same way I did with the English 1.5.1 site, or am I stuck with cutenews utf8?  Do you think it's in UTF-8 because of the foreign character sets? I'm new to all of this, so any info that helps me understand better is most appreciated.

Yes to both questions.

Yes to both questions.

Thanks. I think I understand, but want to be sure. Is it correct to say that at the time utf8-cutenews was created, the official cutenews couldn't handle foreign language encoding very well, but cutenews 2.0.2 can handle foreign languages as well as utf8-cutenews, so there's no reason to remain with the old, unsupported fork?

I belive that that is the case. Support will  be able to advise you further. I have never needed to change language.
This may help:
https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44108

I belive that that is the case. Support will  be able to advise you further. I have never needed to change language.
This may help:
https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=44108

Thanks again. I had actually seen that thread before, but it seems to be about changing the language of the cutenews backend interface,which I don't think I'll need to do. I expect all of my translators will be fluent in English, so it's only the content that needs to be translated.

I will check out utf8 cutenews forum and keep looking around on here for more info on what I need to do. Thanks for your help.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

CutePHP Forums → Problem Solving / Help & Support → Errors logging in to 1.4.6 CN in sep directories from working 2.0.2