1 (edited by 2014-11-29 03:46:50)

Topic: Cyrillic & Chinese characters don't display--may not be CN, but I can't find any answer

I'm desperate for clues to the solution, I took over a site with Russian and Spanish versions in addition to English. THey were still on UTF8 cutenews 1.something, so I upgraded to 2.0.2. The text in the body of the Russian pages displays correctly, but the page title the headers and footers return "????????" instead of the correct characters.  I don't know if this is a generic HTML, PHP or other coding problem, or a problem specific to cutenews. I have spent many hours over months trying to figure out a solution, but I'm not closer to finding a solution than I was when I started. It's not a browser problem, because I have tried on a couple different Macs, using Firefox, Opera and Safari, and it appears the same in all, even with language preferences changed to include Russian Cyrillic and the former Webmaster who routinely navigates Russian and Ukrainian sites reported the same display problem.

Even if this is not strictly a cutenews issue, I am desperate for a clue how to solve this.  MOst of the Q&A that comes up on Web searches has to do with SQL or AJAX or a specific application like Drupal. None of this applies to cn, obviously.

Thanks for any ideas.

EDIT: PS, didn't mention the Chinese site because I haven't been able to log in to upgrade, still waiting for login info from the previous webmast, but I imaging the solution to the Chinese page would be the same as the solution to the Russian page. Any tips I should know about maintaining a Chinese language site would also be most appreciated.

Re: Cyrillic & Chinese characters don't display--may not be CN, but I can't find any answer

I'm desperate for clues to the solution, I took over a site with Russian and Spanish versions in addition to English. THey were still on UTF8 cutenews 1.something, so I upgraded ....

объясни по русски, попробую помочь )

Re: Cyrillic & Chinese characters don't display--may not be CN, but I can't find any answer

объясни по русски, попробую помочь )

I tried replying in Russian, but when I posted it I got a "Spam detected, contact support" message and my reply was blocked. I've sent two messages using the "contact support" link, and in 48 hours still have no reply.

4 (edited by 2014-12-03 09:05:38)

I tried replying in Russian, but when I posted it I got a "Spam detected, contact support" message and my reply was blocked. I've sent two messages using the "contact support" link, and in 48 hours still have no reply.

было такое когда нажимал на кнопку fastreply помогло когда нажал на кнопку reply рядом с quote

было такое когда нажимал на кнопку fastreply помогло когда нажал на кнопку reply рядом с quote

ANY TIME I TRY TO REPLY IN RUSSIAN, MY POST IS BLOCKED WITH "SPAM DETECTED" MESSAGE, AND MESSAGES TO SUPPORT HAVE GONE UNANSWERED FOR THREE DAYS. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ADVISE HOW I CAN COMMUNICATE WITH THIS MEMBER IN RUSSIAN WITHOUT MY MESSAGES BEING BLOCKED BY THE BOARD, AND WITHOUT THE HELP OF SUPPORT, WHO ARE APPARENTLY OUT TO LUNCH AT THE MOMENT.

I'm desperate for clues to the solution, I took over a site with Russian and Spanish versions in addition to English. THey were still on UTF8 cutenews 1.something, so I upgraded to 2.0.2. The text in the body of the Russian pages displays correctly, but the page title the headers and footers return "????????" instead of the correct characters.  I don't know if this is a generic HTML, PHP or other coding problem, or a problem specific to cutenews. I have spent many hours over months trying to figure out a solution, but I'm not closer to finding a solution than I was when I started. It's not a browser problem, because I have tried on a couple different Macs, using Firefox, Opera and Safari, and it appears the same in all, even with language preferences changed to include Russian Cyrillic and the former Webmaster who routinely navigates Russian and Ukrainian sites reported the same display problem.

Even if this is not strictly a cutenews issue, I am desperate for a clue how to solve this.  MOst of the Q&A that comes up on Web searches has to do with SQL or AJAX or a specific application like Drupal. None of this applies to cn, obviously.

Thanks for any ideas.

EDIT: PS, didn't mention the Chinese site because I haven't been able to log in to upgrade, still waiting for login info from the previous webmast, but I imaging the solution to the Chinese page would be the same as the solution to the Russian page. Any tips I should know about maintaining a Chinese language site would also be most appreciated.

Please provide an elaborate report/example or a screenshot where the problem occurs. It'd be even better if you could provide a link where the problem can be seen/recreated.

Best regards,
CN Support team