Topic: Cutenews stability with 8000 stories

Hi all,

I know a site which is using Cutenews and currently has about 8000 stories controlled by Cutenews and growing.

Is there a point at which Cutenews can become unstable?

Whats the max records people have used Cutenews with?

Kind regards

Re: Cutenews stability with 8000 stories

If you archive your news regularly, CuteNews will be stable. The synthetic tests showed that the operating will be stable with 20 000 records.

Best regards,
CN Support team

Hi there,

Were there any synthetic tests conducted when news isnt archived regularly?

I know the site backup regularly but Im not sure about archiving.

Tests were carried out with no news archiving with a fixed size of a news piece. The results of the test do not guarantee the stability of the system if a large number of entries is used in the real conditions with news of various size. We recommend doing news archiving.

Best regards,
CN Support team

Tests were carried out with no news archiving with a fixed size of a news piece. The results of the test do not guarantee the stability of the system if a large number of entries is used in the real conditions with news of various size. We recommend doing news archiving.

The site uses small amounts of news which are usually fixed sizing.
Would you have any estimates from the tests as that would allow me to advise how imminent a problem may be - understanding no guarantees.

Hi,

I've 21500 news, no problem...

Best regards.

this is very nice post

8 (edited by 2015-02-24 19:25:21)

I have 1.4.6 and no archiving and only 350 articles and an out of memory problem. I have been advised to upgrade to 2.0.2 but have not managed to do this yet.

I have 1.4.6 and no archiving and only 350 articles and an out of memory problem. I have been advised to upgrade to 2.0.2 but have not managed to do this yet.

I have not managed to upgrade from 1.4.6 because the instructions do not work. But for the site that I have 2.0.2 installed the Search option does not work and there is no properly written English user documentation for 2.0.2 which would help to get the installation working. But, worse than that there is no guide to how to use the many options available. This is so short sighted.

My 1.4.6 installation has only 311 posts and no comments whether images add to memory is a moot point. the bulk of the posts involve articles that have on average six pages copied from MS Word.  These being Minutes of council meetings.

I simple do not believe that Cutenews can have several thousand posts as the OP reports.

My news.txt is 26,034,771 bytes size. There is no archive in place. The 1.4.6 documentation does not suggest archives would be necessary until the news.txt file is over 3,000 articles in size. PHP memory size is 64M so why does my site fail?

It is a shame that my website is too big when CuteNews owners declare otherwise. the website is a local government website and unless Cutenews' owner sort this issue they will lose that potential custom: there are over 10,000 such councils and many have crap websites depending on PDF file links rather than proper web pages. Sooner or later the government will step in and insist on accessible websites many of the existing website will fail.

A few years ago the response from the CuteNews forum to queries was well supported by users and Support, not any longer, even simple queries are not being answered or if lucky within a week or so.

I have no experience of other CMS but I do find that I can place news anywhere I choose on web pages, created by me using Cutenews. It is up to the owners of CuteNews to support their product according to their claims. They claim it is easy.  I think it is easy, is it?

10 (edited by 2015-04-05 18:37:41)

Hi all,

I know a site which is using Cutenews and currently has about 8000 stories controlled by Cutenews and growing.

Is there a point at which Cutenews can become unstable?

Whats the max records people have used Cutenews with?

Kind regards

I think you are a mistaken or misinformed.  I think you are mistaken. My installation crashes with only 311 posts.

CuteNews 2.0.x uses another method for news indexing – it uses indexes and data separately.
The size of indexes is rather small, and even 20,000 news may occupy no more than 4MB of memory, while data itself may occupy any amount of memory available on the disk.

In version 1.4.x, all data were stored in monolithic tables without indexes. Obviously, it took a lot of time for 26MB of data to load to 64MB of free memory. All the more, in CN 1.4.x data were not just loaded once, but copied to the memory twice, increasing the consumption of up to 52MB, and even more.

In CN 2.0.x, data are loaded only when they are needed, and only once.

Best regards,
CN Support team