Topic: Categories how are they supposed to work?

Hi

I have found that if I post to a category that is a child to a parent the post overwrites the parent.

Re: Categories how are they supposed to work?

Please give us more details on the way the error occurs, since there's no functionality defining the rewriting of a subsidiary category.

Best regards,
CN Support team

Hi

I have found that if I post to a category that is a child to a parent the post overwrites the parent.

Correction: On checking I have a category "newsletters" I added a new category "newsletter LHS" with "newletters" as parent.
I posted to the child category - the subcategory "newsletter LHS".  Result the news item was posted to both the parent and the subcategory.  I had to edit the subcategory and remove its Parent setting to "none".

Cutenews seemed to be behaving as if I had chosen to post the news in more than one category. I checked this, just in case, but can confirm that I was only posting to the subcategory.

Correction: On checking I have a category "newsletters" I added a new category "newsletter LHS" with "newletters" as parent.
I posted to the child category - the subcategory "newsletter LHS".  Result the news item was posted to both the parent and the subcategory.  I had to edit the subcategory and remove its Parent setting to "none".

Cutenews seemed to be behaving as if I had chosen to post the news in more than one category. I checked this, just in case, but can confirm that I was only posting to the subcategory.

If you output data from the main category, the filter will include all sub-categories as well. This is a normal behavior of CuteNews. If you want only the data of subcategories to be shown, do not assign a parent to it.

Best regards,
CN Support team

5 (edited by 2015-04-04 11:14:33)

If you output data from the main category, the filter will include all sub-categories as well. This is a normal behavior of CuteNews. If you want only the data of subcategories to be shown, do not assign a parent to it.

Thank you.  The way I use CuteNews requires often over 50 categories. I thought in the absence of user documentation on this new feature that the idea was to enable the user to organise their categories more easily.

The question is since I do not want to publish news articles from both the parent and sub-categories whether I can just leave the parent categories in place and not use them?

Support has been unable to answer my query at present.  I would just like to mention that unless any category is ascribed a parent it cannot be described as a sub-category or am I missing something? I have edited all categories on my website that had parent settings. This is the result:

http://southwickwilts.co.uk/images/parent%20category%20issue.jpg

The order of the categories have been spoilt. Both the Minutes and Agenda categories were set as parents to the monthly minutes and agendas they are now in reverse order. There was one slight abnormal setting on my part as I had to add August after I had completed the other months. The reason being that some parish councils do not have meetings in August. Fortunately each category still has its assigned number.

Thank you.  The way I use CuteNews requires often over 50 categories. I thought in the absence of user documentation on this new feature that the idea was to enable the user to organise their categories more easily.

The question is since I do not want to publish news articles from both the parent and sub-categories whether I can just leave the parent categories in place and not use them?

How can i add sub categories in php ?

How can i add sub categories in php ?

Hi thesiddharth  You just select to add a category as the parent to the category that you want to make a sub-category.  The default setting for a new category is "None".

I'd be very wary about adding sub-categories as doing so lead to trouble on my website. I had a category "Home page" and added three new categories: Home page left, Homepage middle, and Home page right.

I thought that I could then post to any one of the child categories or the Home category. It didn't work like that refer to the Support reply above. I had $Number set to 1 for the middle category and there were two posts in that category. that gives rise to a <<previous . . . next>> pagination.

If the visitor to the website clicks on the pagination. The middle post is duplicated "over" the other posts on the page!

There are 2 rules working in regard to this category:

1. Cutenews recognizes the category ID, which is the parent to other categories, as a list of categories (the main and all the subsidiary categories).
2.  The specification of a subsidiary category will be recognized as an indication to select news only from it.

Suppose there are two categories. The first (1) and second (2). There are 2 articles in the first category, and 1 article in the second one.

We filter the articles by $ category = 1. There are 2 articles selected from the first category as well as from the subsidiary ones. As a result, we have 3 articles.
We indicate $ category = 2, in which case, only one item will be selected.

This feature was designed to classify news under global categories with the possibility to select them with further details.

Best regards,
CN Support team