Topic: How to move a V2.x installation to a new web server?

I'm moving my web site to a new host.
I've set up the new host and copied by entire web site (inc CuteNews directories) but not yet changed the domain name to point at it (so testing by changing the HOSTS file on my PC)
Everything works apart from CuteNews - I can log in but config settings are missing.  The right number of news items are listed but as "no title:", no category, correct date.  Clicking on the "no title:" gets me  "News entry not found!"
Do I need to take a CuteNews backup on the old server and copy the file to new?
Should I install a fresh copy of CuteNews rather than rely on the FTPed copy?
Should testing by using changed HOSTS file work OK?

Re: How to move a V2.x installation to a new web server?

I'm moving my web site to a new host.
I've set up the new host and copied by entire web site (inc CuteNews directories) but not yet changed the domain name to point at it (so testing by changing the HOSTS file on my PC)
Everything works apart from CuteNews - I can log in but config settings are missing.  The right number of news items are listed but as "no title:", no category, correct date.  Clicking on the "no title:" gets me  "News entry not found!"
Do I need to take a CuteNews backup on the old server and copy the file to new?
Should I install a fresh copy of CuteNews rather than rely on the FTPed copy?
Should testing by using changed HOSTS file work OK?

Hello rob1951,

1. Please make sure you have copied all data (especially CDATA folder), and the folders` and directiories` rights still allow reading and recodring.
2. Open the CN settings and check the site directory, especially "General" > "Server upload dir" section, and the Rewrite section.
3. It is likely that the web-directory to Cutenews stays the same as previous.

Best regards,
CN Support team

3 (edited by 2016-03-27 21:44:35)

Hello rob1951,

1. Please make sure you have copied all data (especially CDATA folder), and the folders` and directiories` rights still allow reading and recodring.
2. Open the CN settings and check the site directory, especially "General" > "Server upload dir" section, and the Rewrite section.
3. It is likely that the web-directory to Cutenews stays the same as previous.

Done all that, no good.  Went back to square one and re-copied all files, checked permissions and General/Rewrite settings - no further forward.

4 (edited by tracyalbert247 2017-01-01 10:19:58)

Awesome sharing helps me a lot!
dorsalgia