Re: Wishes for future versions of CuteNews

Will, will you eat my soul if I used some functions out of cutenews?

Depends what functions, I could perhaps nibble on your soul if you use the functions... tongue nothing serious lol

Get some understanding of the cutenews license GPL, then copy everything you damn well please, provided you follow the instructions given in the license. (Basically, any improvements you make to the codebase should be submitted back to cutenews, and the GPL license has to be included in your script with reference to the cutephp name, author(flexer) and url.)

It was just the umm File Format Size function and the mircoTimer Class.
But now .... I CANT BE STUFFED MAKING A NEWS SYSTEM lol! but i may use those functions for other projects.

30 (edited by 2004-10-29 13:41:16)

Things I would like to see in CuteNews.

Visitor Stats.  I love graphs and numbers.  It would be neat to see this stuff.

Scheduled publishing.  <-- I think there was some talk about this, but can't find in the forums now.

Basic image/file uploader/ manager.  <-- I have a separate one but it would be nice to have it as a plugin.  If I read correctly this is going to be in the next version. 

Audit system.  < table showing who is making changes to what and when. 

Edit login pages <- I have seen a tutorial around.  But would it be possible to edit all the pages CSS. 

I think these should be modules/ extentions/ plugins (how ever you want to call them).  CuteNews is great because its so customizable.  Its a small upload and can build it with plugins for more advanced features.  I think that is great. 

Just my thoughts and ideas.

moloko,Oct 29 2004, 11:28 PM wrote:

Things I would like to see in CuteNews.

Visitor Stats.  I love graphs and numbers.  It would be neat to see this stuff.

Scheduled publishing.  <-- I think there was some talk about this, but can't find in the forums now.

Basic image/file uploader/ manager.  <-- I have a separate one but it would be nice to have it as a plugin.  If I read correctly this is going to be in the next version. 

Audit system.  < table showing who is making changes to what and when. 

Edit login pages <- I have seen a tutorial around.  But would it be possible to edit all the pages CSS. 

I think these should be modules/ extentions/ plugins (how ever you want to call them).  CuteNews is great because its so customizable.  Its a small upload and can build it with plugins for more advanced features.  I think that is great. 
Just my thoughts and ideas.
[right][snapback]16053[/snapback][/right]

1. I dont see any vistors stats happening since its only a news system not a website managment system.

2. Scheduled Publishing - If i knew what you mean its alright in some ways but that would mean you never posted at the time it says.

3. Basic image/file uploader/ manager - It basically already has one just that its only for images ... i think... im sure its not hard to change that.

4. Audit system - I dont see much of point... meh!

5. Edit login pages - That can be easily done if im thinking right... just edit the CSS file or template file thats in the skins folder for that skin.

1. Cutenews has visitor stats.. stating how many articles you currently have, how many archives, comments, users... etc ... So much to choose from.  This is available as a seperate file on http://www.cutephp.com/cutenews/addons/

2. Scheduled posting is also referred as "Prospective Posting" which I and eruin have both slaved over hammer and tongs, him coding, me testing, and he has a system in Aj-Fork that can handle if you make a news post on monday for example, it won't appear on the website until Thursday at 6pm ... smile so its already in cutenews, but the Fork.

3. A new image manager is in place in AJ-Fork allowing greater use of the program, you can create directories, paths, you can even EDIT the image online! Minor adjustments like size, ratio, filesize etc...quality.

4. Dont like the idea of this tongue

5. When eruin has 168 up he has customised "some" of it to be expandable with CSS, soon it will be 100% or close to that mark.  Depends on what the future holds mate.

*for more addons.. http://willyps.com/willyps/files/cutenews/

Thanks Will.  Can always count on you to get excellent replies.  I really am looking forward to modifing the "cutenews" admin section with CSS.  And when it is complete..new forum thread to be opened maybe.

Possibly, although, when the admin section is complete people will NEED to learn CSS before they can tackle changing it, due to the fact its such an extensive tool and INCREDIBLY time saving smile

No problem @ The replies mate.  I prefer to give people a lot of information rather than a little...unless its a question thats been answered hundreds of times, then I give them a link to a corresponding post in the forum tongue

smile

35 (edited by 2004-11-10 01:23:34)

suggestion:
make comments work under PHP5 >_<

sort of bugging me.

What isn't working on it then?

turn register globals on in the php ini maybe.

JubbaG,Nov 4 2004, 06:06 PM wrote:

turn register globals on in the php ini maybe.
[right][snapback]16736[/snapback][/right]

told my host to do that.

alegedly they did it, didn't help though.

ok, quick update.. turns out it works JUST FINE under php5.. (or maybe they really did turn that stuff on) I had just made a GET thingy that should have been POST when I was making the search function work, and i didn't really need to touch that thingy i touched ANYWAY..

(yeah, i'm not gonna go into detail, so I leave you dazzled and confused by the intentionally bad explanation)

point is, the reason it didn't work was because i farked it up.
sorry.

Eh?

mmm Chicken!

Sorry, I didn't read all three pages...

I manage a website for Boy Scout Packs, Troops and Venture Crews there are over 2000 active scouts attached to our District.

It would be nice to take my mail list down from yahoogroups or at least not use it unless someone finds it that isn't familar with our site. anyway I would like to to import/create a mail list for each catagory, we currently have only 4. This list would include email address of each person attached to the "group" i.e. Pack, Troop Crew and once the editors post a NEW news article there was a "send email" check box that would take the subject line and send it alnog with the "short story" to my Scouts and a link to the refering news page.

If this is hard to follow I am sorry my brain is dead this morning :blink: , bad salad last night.

I think this has been made before... but im not 100% sure.

check out http://www.cutephp.com/cutenews/addons/ for some hacks for cutenews 1.3.6 (some for aj-fork) and also http://willyps.com/willyps/files/cutenews/ for some more hacks.

I think the wordfilter is at willyps.

I would like to see a more 'abstract' mean of storage, so you could write your own 'storage' module for instance for mysql, or for another way of storing into files.
If Flexer doesn't want to implement mySQL soon, then why not let others do that by using a more abstract model which allows your custom 'dataprovider' driver..

flexer didnt say you couldnt do it

if you do it and make a mysql version im sure lots of people here would like ya
as per the previous names of the cute news branched (aj-fork and p-fork) you might consider naming it sql-fork or something

i dont know sql AT ALL, but im going to consider writing some form of a better functions.php to work nicer when writing files and such

StealthEye,Dec 10 2004, 04:50 PM wrote:

that's becouse of one simple thing: none of the ppl around here really liked it, so If it would be done, then it would not have an high priority.

this discussion has been made soo often, but we have basically not seen much good things. Only harder developing, which isn't at all good. Don't tell me that it would be so much faster, becouse I tested speed things before, and noticed that reading the file wasn't at all slow, but the slow part was the procesing of the data, which will still be needed.
[right][snapback]20999[/snapback][/right]

the problem is that when there are a lot of visitors, and updates occur frequently (comments) there could come conflicts, or queue's (when using flock) which slows stuff really down.
Using files is about as fast as using mysql on low usage, although mySQL is way more scalable.
They once wrote a flat database (using files similar as cutenews) for storing stuff of invision power board (the board this forum uses btw), which worked pretty well on low usage, but when more then 5 people were using it together it started lagging..

By the way.. how do you guess mySQL works wink Files anyway.. although a lot better then you would be able to do with PHP

44 (edited by 2004-12-11 00:43:45)

Not sure if this feature already exists, but I would like to see a 'sort-by' option, where by on a category specific basis, you can decide to arrange posts by:
date, reverse date (as we can do already)

and then in addition:
alphabetical (AZ/ZA)
by # views
by # comments
by average rating (if incorporated within ratings plugin)
by # referrals

plus:

you could open a popup, view all existing posts in this category, and place the new post you are creating in between any two current posts, by way of numbering perhaps.

bws: I think if you make CN db backended, you lose what it has in appeal, if I were comfortable with Sql and the likes, no offence, I would be using something like MT or Wordpress.

45 (edited by 2004-12-11 02:12:56)

https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3733

sort by hack has been created, search the forums
it doesnt incorperate the average rating or referrals
but it does incorperate views and comments (search forums HINT: hacks section)

That would be nice. Editing templates is not a big deal but editing the admin etc sure is. Maybe cutenews can borrow the language thingie from Aj-FORK?

Tim, I was thinking te versy same thing today. Instead of having the template defined by the papge, it would be chosen from a dorp down list in the add news page, this way, I can have categories with different sorts of content, being served by appropriate templates.