Re: Wishes for future versions of CuteNews

The ability to save posts, but not publish them would be grand smile

cubechris,Apr 12 2005, 01:14 AM wrote:

The ability to save posts, but not publish them would be grand smile
[right][snapback]37298[/snapback][/right]

A draft function should be included in the next release apparently smile

Okay, so there a lot of wishes, and I haven't read them all (I apologize).  My few wishes:

That, when I go to edit/look at old news, that I don't have to continually ask it to show all the news in the options.  i.e., after I choose which ones to archive, it comes back to only showing 21.  That's very frustrating when you have over 200 articles.

Can/do you have a RSS feed that can be fed by category?  I honestly have about 40 categories, and would like the news feeds to pull from all at once, and by certain categories.  I'll try to research this a bit more, but this would be awfully nice, and draw much more media to my site.

Cheers and great job!

Dijares

p.s.  I'd be willing to pay a bit for Cutenews, as I know that you all work your butts off on it, but I don't have much. sad  wink

My wishes:

- Date change possibility for news
- Multi category possibility for news
- Sort-by menu (for date, alphabetical, author...)
- Filters (date period, news by author...)

I think, there should be a function in Article Options, when you are adding or editing news, not to take new lines into account, but only when you insert
tag.

When I paste formatted html into field and accept news, there is very much unnecessary new lines at the preview...

Thanks...

Pawel,Apr 13 2005, 05:49 PM wrote:

I think, there should be a function in Article Options, when you are adding or editing news, not to take new lines into account, but only when you insert
tag.
[right][snapback]37443[/snapback][/right]

It's already available in cutenews 1.3.6  smile

When adding oder editing news click on options and uncheck [Convert new lines to
]

Hmmm, I got a simple idea, use:
$category = "science,sports";
instead of:
$category = "1,2";
I think it would be easyiest to understand what category is the script calling to appear
If you reaname a category, there will be problems.
Hmm, maybe adding the ability to select between "CATEGORY ID" and "CATEGORY NAME", or even using both of them could be a solution:
$category = "1,headlines";
Well, just a suggestion smile
Cheers.

To do this all you need to do is change a few expressions around, what would happen if two categories are named the same? Or the name of a category is a number?

Hmm, I guess the system shouldn't leave the user create twin categories... and about the number name, you're right... I guess the category name MUST be letters...
Anyway... was just a suggestion hehe

What I would really like for the future version of CuteNews, is a, like in Adobe Photoshop, Save for Web when you upload the image, and here you should be able to choose the quality and all that. Maybe it's difficult, but it's irritating, that my journalists don't have PS or GIMP or don't know how to do it, so it would be lovely with such a script. I know that it's not impossible, due to I've seen it on other scripts.

In CuteHack it uses a code to produce JPG thumbnails (but this can be changed to just produce JPG) this can implemented, whether or not it is will be determined at a later date wink

- Definetly a system with the ability of placing one article in multiple categories. It would work great for creating online encyclopedias, where you could sort for example in alphabetical order (I know, this one's already available in FAQ-a), but also by eras, by disciplines, and so forth. A bit on the educational side, I know.. tongue

- Well, I'm not giving up on this one: a version of Olivier's poll systems with multiple polls active, and a choice between vote restrictions for registered users or IP.... Hi Olivier!  big_smile
(I'm actaully trying to do the poll thing myself, so if I should ever succed, I'll be sure to let you know)

This will probably sound stupid or someone wrote it already, but it would be good if cutenews have ability to create new pages of the same article.

Do you mean like having pagination within an article?

Name it pagintation smile for me it's ability to create new pages of the same article.

So would this be what you want? https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2211

142 (edited by 2005-05-15 11:26:10)

More wishes:

Neater HTML. I realise its probably not top priority, but there's some features I'd like to build in myself (some sort of CSS based theme management, v long term plan) and the HTML for the admin interface is simply getting in my way, cos of lots of unclosed tags, and unnecessary closures, things keep dissappearing and reappearing at random. Overall, I reckon dropping the tables and moving onto DIVs and more CSS is the way forward.

Extra vote for some ideas that already came up:

- Ability to save drafts.
- Ability to reorder articles.

Reckon both of these would need an extra field in the data. So, 'published' would either be yes or no and 'order' would be a number. Both settable from admin interface. (For the second one you'd need to be able to ensure that no two articles had the same number.) The bigger problem might be having to go back through all past articles and adding those fields. So, if its not already done, maybe a tip for the future would be to add in some development fields with dummy entries so you can do a find/replace on your data when adding functions.

Oh, and another one. You know the quick tag things, like [link] stuff [/link]. It'd be nice to have an interface to allow you to add to those, rather than have to dig into the code. Guess you'd have to shove the lot into a new file tho.

Finally:
Big vote for flat files. RESIST SQL! Keeping it simple has definitely got its niche, there's plenty of big complex projects out there, I'm using Mambo for something else, which is pretty good, but it takes ages just to learn the admin terminology, and then some of the stuff is buggy as a <--metaphor censored-->

So, thanks guys, really nice programme.

I am currently working on a hack for integrating a custom quicktag creator, it should be finished later today or tomorrow smile

coooool. nice one. smile

dear RDF

where to Download your nice Hacks????

See my signature for some of my hacks I have released so far smile

Just another quick wish. I'd like to be able to do endnotes/footnotes with a quicklink and have them automatically numbered for me, with #name links both down to the reference, and back up to the top of the page.
I'd like a similar thing for a table of contents, although thats less hassle to do manually.

Just a thought...
K

Didn't have time to read the previous pages, but I would love to see MySQL/phpBB support for a future version of CuteNews.  For example, you can list the hottest threads (I.E. like threads that have reached over 100 posts) and you can make it so that when you post something in CuteNews, it's automatically posted in your phpBB.

The only thing I find necessary to add to Cutenews as an amateur user is, when adding articles, the ability to post it in many categories at the same time, rather than having to repost them like I currently have to do.
www.footballingworld.com

feverpitchsite:
thats an upcoming modification, either in the next version or the version after that version smile

RTL:
been discussed and I don't think many people are up for it, it takes away the flat-file relationship that cutenews prides itself on.  Plus many people don't have a sql host or have a clue how to setup SQL based news systems.  Take a look in the forums, you really think some people need to be confused more than they already are? tongue