Hi the issue is that once a user has uploaded their website using the most recent Cutenews they will have a working website ONLY until PHP version X is updated by Cutenews

If Cutenews is not updated websites will crash. As Cutenews uses php and is not at present being updated to PHP 8.  Websites will fail.

Is this correct? I have made a Cutenews driven website. It is working using CKEditor to enter news items. It is not necessary to acesss Cutenews program files, so if that is correct PHP need not be updated?

Is anyone using PHP 8 for their website?

I have the same problem. The host has upgraded to PHP 8 and my sites are affected. The host will continue to supply PHP 7.4 but at a monthly charge -amounts to about a hundred pounds a year.

As posted above using Word 2016 I am unable to copy and paste to Cutenews. Cutenews is ver 2.0.1 and have hosting for PHP 5.6 as I was unable to get Cutenews to update.  Running under Windows 10 updated this week.

Can someone help me by seeing if they can copy and paste from Word?

I have been having trouble with copying and pasting Word documents to Cutenews. Background: could not upgrade Cutenews had to pay extra for hosting earlier version of PHP as seven does not work on my version of Cutenews. I have found that the width of a table has not be recognized by Cutenews.  The document has text content as well as table content.  Now I find that if I just add a table to word and try to copy and paste it to Cutenews the system does not provide anything. If the Word document ver 2016 has a table with textual content Cutenews will display that content in Source view that strips the table content. Workaround, type the data into a Cutenews table. Issue lot of work.  Back to PDF files. Shame that the user needs to use Cutenews as the means to create and publish news when the obvious tool is to use Microsoft Word to produce copy.

Hi I have been publishing documents from Microsoft Word to my websites using the CKFinder WSIWYG editior. It works fine but Words redundant code has to be stripped out. Tedius, 700 or so lines of code! but that is not the issue,  I now find that the table width setting is not working - it always has worked.

What I need to know is what code I can add or alter to the CKEditor source view to control the width of a pasted table from Microsoft Word 2016?

NB this issue is new, I have had no issues in the past. I do not think that my version of Cutenews is the culprit as I have no changed it. The document with the tables displays and prints perfectly.

Hi Stuck on this one. I have a category "let hand side" and it has started to generate duplicate entries. Initially I found that one post was appearing in two different locations. I removed that post and that left duplicate entries. I did not make any multi category entries.  The posts are in a single column on the left hand side of my Home page.  www.southwickwilts.co.uk It may have to do with copying and pasting from MS Word.

update I have been trying all sorts of variations eg, making new categories for the ones that might be at fault. I do not have duplicate posts now but the post September Minutes also displays in the left hand column.  If I type anything into that category using CKEditor it also appears in the left hand column! So its not the copy from a Word file that is the issue, although something might have damaged CuteNews (2.0.2) from the Word file.

UPDATE;  I have solved the second part of the issue now - that is duplication of the Sept Minutes. I have a small box above the main content for the left hand side. At present it is a place holder for a category news stcky.  I had inadvertantly erased the $category setting. Once I added a $category the duplicate post disappeared.  I hope this post has been usefull smile

Further to my earlier post on getting HTML tags I now need to get my Cutenews Search working. The system was detecting that I was using the full URL but that is not so. Well at least I can't find any. All links are local.  Progress so far is that the search result is too short. Code from search.php:

Cutenews search not working

Temporary remove the check on full URL

// Check including isolate check?
// check_direct_including('search.php');

works but another issue is the search is rejected as being too short.  The setting is to less than 3. my search reqest was more than 3 chars, so don't know what's happening

if (strlen($search) < 3)
    {
        echo "<div>Too short request!</div>";
    }
    else
    {
        $block = '';
        $found = 0;

do
        {
            reset($news);

// repeat, while data exists

UPDATE 24TH JUNE  I also inserted "var_dump ($_SERVER);"  and the item entered into the Search box was in search.php. Something is amiss with search.php

I have managed to upgrade from 1.4.6 to 2.1.2 but all the existing posts are being displayed as HTML. I have posted a new message and that is OK.

UPDATE 11th June:  I have found that I can enter any of my existing news items to CKEDitor to edit and if I just select Edit which saves the version changed or unchanged the resulting news item is rendered correctly. So I could take all my published news and feed them into CKEditor.  The trouble with this is that I have over 80 categories and a lot of news items. 

Something is wrong with the upgrade and so far as my searches are concerned the issue is unique. Perhaps there is something wrong with the coding on the website being what was originally a Micrsoft Front page product.

I have another Cutenews 1.4.6 website that needs to be pgraded and I must get the issues sorted before I proceed any further. So I would be very pleased to get help. Thanks! Website: www.freshfordsomerset.co.uk

Some of the news items on the Home page of my website are plain text added directly to the page so do not show the HTML tags.

UPDATE 18TH JUNE 2019 I have gone through all the posts and saved them in CKEditor as I had no alternative suggested to me. It was not difficult just tiring.  Search not working now. I get a using full path to show news error.  Can't find where the show news statment comes in search.php or sitesearch.php and I have the search button on my Home page and it stilll appears to be isolated from any show news statment.  Pagination issues with multiple posts on the same page. I thought the pagination issue was fixed in  CN 2.1.2 ?

UPDATE 19TH JUNE I have found that I had a search.php file in HTDOCS and that only the one in CuteNews should be on the website. Unfortunately, its removal does not allow Search to work.

Thank you Support.  It seems I didn't upload the cdata file from the version 2.1.2 I have done that and established the upgrade. The issue now is that there is no news and catgories available.  There was no Maintenance option. It seems like I just have a new installation.

I have checked that category.db.php is present and correct and also needed to copy the news.txt file from the 1.4.6 installation to the 2.1.2 installation.

Hi This is the message I get its a new installation and everything seemed fine I set up some categories and posted my first article. It was accepted but didn't appear on my webpage. I checked my coding and it wa free of erors. On inspection in CuteNews/cdata/news I found this file 2019-05-04.php. In the file I had this code: <?php die('Direct CAll - access denied');?> followed by a lot of meaning less stuff.

Hard to believe that on the include to show_news I forgot to add quotation marks to the path!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark

I have tried to upgrade CN 1.4.6 to CN 2.1.2 but had to give up and restore 1.4.6 from backup. On inspection some files were missing template files and some uploaded files were empty!  I have restored the mising template files and re uploaded the files that were empty.  The trouble is that when I go to Cutenews/index.php I do not get a Login page but an Installer page. I have checked the user.db.php file and the existing users are listed and the site is working, except that I can't edit material yet.

Is there a way to get back the Login page?

I have checked my download of 2.1.2 and it has:define('VERSION',       '2.1.0');

So why wasn't the 2.1.1 version corrrected? Correction my download version is 2.1.2  but when I upload it to the server it is 2.1.0! Solved: I have been using Expression Web 4 and it failed to refresh the init.php file.

Hi  I am stuck on upgrading version 1.4.6 to 2.1.2 on the create an admin account page.  The system hangs on entering the confirmation password.

On checking it seems the current download version is wrong. From another post on the forum in Core/init.php: define('VERSION',       '2.1.0'); No the download is OK. I have found the error and amended the file there was a file mixup usingExpression Web 4. The Administration page is version 2.1.2 but the system is still hung.

I'll remove the uploaded cutenews and upload it again. Done that, the page still wont work.

There is possibly an issue in that 1.4.6 wont run under php7 and my host is providing extended php 5.4 at a cost. But on inspection Cutenews 2.1.2 should be ok as the check is it wont run on 4.x

NB UPDATE I hav noticed that on going to the website that there is some evidence that cutenews is present.  All the posts are replaced by "Nothing to Show".

Update 20th April 2019 I have managed to restore CN 1.4.6 but I can't get to the login page now it wants to install CN and that would overwrite my data files I suppose. Cutenews 1.4.6 is no longer available as a Legacy download. This is unfoirtunate as I would like to check whether I am missing some files.

Hi I have decided to install cutenews 2.1.2 on a basic website. I had previously uploaded 2.0.1. I deleted all the 2.0.1 folders and uploaded the 2.1.2 folders. Edit: I am hoping that the website as its developing will  not crash under PHP 7.

I can't get it to go into the procedure to allow access.  The Cutenews folder is set to 707. When I go to myweb/cutenews nothing happens. Edit: what does going to the cutenews folder actually do? Is there a program waiting to run?

I do not think that all the Cutenews folders have been uploaded. I'll check the download and upload any missing. Well I have uploaded the directory again and had to also upload some that were missed out.  Still no luck.

Edit: the site has a Unix server and is set to PHP 7.

There is no reference in the readme to how to run the installer. I checked my earlier versions of Cutenews and found that (in 1.5. beta) to go to mywebsite/cutenews/index.php  I altered the directory CuteNews as downloaded to cutenews just in case that is an issue with title caps No difference.  So I am stuck.  Since in 15 years I have only installed Cutenews on three websites is it any wonder that I had forgotten how to get the installer running.

Firefox does nothing, MS Edge gives an HTTP 500 error as does Chrome.

On contacting the host there was a fatal php error. On inspection some sub-directories were missing from the upload.  After several attempts to ensure that all the directories were uploaded the installation went ahead. I had used Acebit FTP 8 as my software to upload files and had not had this issue before. Do not know whether Windows 10 complicated issues. Slow upload speed?

NB  If anyone else has had a failure of the software to upload a complete directory (not just CuteNews) from uploading completely I would like to hear from them. Software used: Wise FTP 8 and Avast free edition.  Thanks.

Thanks support but the link does not work.

Thanks Support.  The link is giving a 404. www is missing?

I did try to upgrade 1.4.6 and failed October 2015. I do not know what I did wrong.  I am reviewing the instructions and will post anything that I do not understand.

I also tried to upgrade 2.0.2 and also failed. I have three sites that run on Cutenews they are large. So I need to be sure that I can upgrade successfully. so to confirm will 2.0.3 run under PHP 7?

Thanks Support!

Hi Trying to find deprecated code that will result in failure under PHP 7not just a warning.  I have this error eregi line 54 in shows.inc.php deprecated: Code:

if(!eregi("<\?",$member_db_line)){
                $user_arr = explode("|",$user);
                        if($user_arr[4] != "")
                            {
                                    if($user_arr[7] != 1 and $user_arr[5] != ""){ $my_names[$user_arr[2]] = "<a href=\"mailto:$user_arr[5]\">$user_arr[4]</a>"; }
                                        else{ $my_names[$user_arr[2]] = "$user_arr[4]"; }
                    $name_to_nick[$user_arr[2]] = $user_arr[4];
                            }
                                else
                            {
                                    if($user_arr[7] != 1 and $user_arr[5] != ""){ $my_names[$user_arr[2]] = "<a href=\"mailto:$user_arr[5]\">$user_arr[2]</a>"; }
                                        else{ $my_names[$user_arr[2]] = "$user_arr[2]"; }
                    $name_to_nick[$user_arr[2]] = $user_arr[2];
                }
I think I need to change the eregi to "preg_* where * is something "match"?

Hi Thanks Support. All working fine !

Before I attempt to upgrade my sites that are using Cutenews 1.4.6 and 2.0.2 (Build ID 202) I need to know whether they will run under PHP 7.  PHP 7 is no longer backwards compatible. My web companies host is charging extra to keep my sites to PHP 5.4

I have two websites that I have designed and manage that use Cutenews. One is using Cutenews 1.4.6 and the other is using version 2.0.2 (Build ID 202) I have arranged with my reseller to continue to use PHP 5.4 as both sites will crash under PHP 7.

It uses to be the case that PHP was compatible with earlier versions, but no not any longer.  I doubt whether a small percentage of users will be able to amend code that runs perfectly under PHP 5.4 or earlier. so I am unable to amend the Cutenews code.

I did try to upgrade both sites to the latest version of Cutenews but even after spending more than a week trying to do so I could not. The PHP 7 incompatible  issues are within both versions of Cutenews and only an expert can amend the code. I would have to be spoon fed to amend the code. Maybe someone has found the issues and solved them. 

My reseller hosting company wants over £60 a year to continue to provide PHP 5.4 for each site. that is £120 that I will lose unless the clients are prepared to pay, what amounts to a doubling of their website hosting costs.

I will have a look at the upgrade instructions again and report back. I like Cutenews and bearing in mind that I am still using Cutenews 1.4.6 on one of the websites for over ten years without any issues (apart from running out of memory) the only complaint is that Cutenews is NOT EASY to update, as claimed, to a newer version!

hi Thanks  version number 2.0.2 build ID-202

Hi I have added the code and get a blank screen.  There was a missing semicolon in the original code that I added. I am using Cutenews 2002. I did copy and paste so the code should be ok.