Topic: search doesn't work

The search function works except for when I click a link in the results. No story shows and the page returns to a blank search page.

Re: search doesn't work

Please help? I really don't understand why search.php doesn't work

Search works on index.php or the main page where you have the code samples Include where the news, but can be modified in the field

<form method="get" self action="index.php?subaction=search">

Where is the website Do index which shows the results.

Where have the Include code search.php?

Please describe from which to which page the link shows.

Best regards,
CN Support team

5 (edited by 2013-06-07 12:31:23)

Please describe from which to which page the link shows.

My site's index page is index.php, I renamed the cutenews' index page to index1.php and included it in index.php. In this file I included also search1.php
I include search.php in file search1.php, when I start search the results are shown, but there is something wrong when I click on the headline which shows the search result the full-story dosen't open. It opens a search form again

Please help

6 (edited by 2013-06-07 21:51:00)

Woah, what, you're including CuteNews' index.php page in another page?

search.php only shows results but doesn't handle the display of news. If you have a page only with:

<?php include('./cutenews/search.php'); ?>

searching will work, but there is no show_news.php code to display the news.

You have two options:
a) Redirect the search results to be shown with another page, using $PHP_SELF:

<?php
$PHP_SELF = 'news.php';
include('./cutenews/search.php');
?>

The file news.php (referrenced to in $PHP_SELF) being a page including show_news.php

b) Include show_news.php in the same page as search.php:

<div class="search">
 <?php
 ?>
</div>

<div class="news">
 <?php
  include('./cutenews/show_news.php');
 ?>
</div>

7 (edited by 2013-06-11 07:37:07)

doesn't work I really don't understand why i don't make the headlines of search results link to the full news story

8 (edited by 2013-06-11 07:50:40)

The file search.php cannot show full stories. Only show_news.php can.

When you search with search.php, it will make links for show_news.php, but of course if you only have:

<?php
?>

There will be no show_news.php anywhere to understand the links that search.php makes.

-----------------------

I see the problem with $PHP_SELF and I apologize for not checking. It looks like $PHP_SELF now says to which page the search request (and not the results) should be sent to. If you have a file just including search.php and would like it to show the results & full story to another page (let's name it full.php), something like this would work:

searchbox.php

<?php
$PHP_SELF = 'full.php';
?>

full.php

<?php
if(isset($_GET['dosearch'])){
}
else{
  include('./cutenews/show_news.php');
}
?>

-----------------------

It is possible to show the results on the same page but to have the links go to another page. This will need some editing in a TPL file, and I'm a little lazy right now, so just shout if you want to do that and I'll tell you what to do (if no one beats me to it).

-----------------------

It's also possible to have search.php and show_news.php on the same page. This would be the best way if you want to show active news (or whatever) and have a search sidebar somewhere. The results would then be shown in the same page.
This is how CuteNews' example2.php works.

For future reference — "it doesn't work" isn't very helpful feedback. If something is wrong, please explain what you did and how it is not working to your wishes. That way, we can address your problems a lot better. Thanks!