Topic: Backup CuteNews website to local drive advice

Hi

Apart from backing up Cutenews from the CuteNews based website online, what is the best way to have a CuteNews website backed up to my local drive.  At present I just download the CuteNews Data file to my website(s). This creates a copy of the complete CuteNews Data file on my offline website. I then rename it eg. Data-23-may-2013. Next week I might dowload the Data file again (depending on how much news I have uploaded).  Rename the Data file and so. The rationale is that I have my website and a recent Data file at home in case the remote server fails. I was wondering whether all I need to do is download news.txt?

2 (edited by 2013-05-25 08:38:23)

Re: Backup CuteNews website to local drive advice

That's a very good way of handling backups! Personally, I would also download the entire /cdata/ folder once a month (it includes templates, settings, categories — basically everything that is different from a new, default CuteNews installation). Don't forget to also download the comments file /cdata/comments.txt if you have them enabled.

Oh, also, if you're uploading a lot of things to CuteNews, it might be good to download the /uploads/ folder every now and then. I reckon you have the files on your computer (or not if many people are contributing to your website via CuteNews) but it may be nice to have a backup so all images in the news articles will automatically work and you won't have to look around your folders for them... this depends on how you've organized your website things locally on your computer.

EDIT: CuteNews has a backup module but it's always good to keep a backup on your local hard drive. If something happens to the CuteNews folder, the backups will be gone, too. Moreover, the backups only make a copy of the active news, comments and the archives but not of your users or your settings. Sporadically downloading the entire /cdata/ folder will make you fully covered.

Speaking of archives, are you downloading those as well? That might be another thing to consider as well.

That's a very good way of handling backups! Personally, I would also download the entire /cdata/ folder once a month (it includes templates, settings, categories — basically everything that is different from a new, default CuteNews installation). Don't forget to also download the comments file /cdata/comments.txt if you have them enabled.

Oh, also, if you're uploading a lot of things to CuteNews, it might be good to download the /uploads/ folder every now and then. I reckon you have the files on your computer (or not if many people are contributing to your website via CuteNews) but it may be nice to have a backup so all images in the news articles will automatically work and you won't have to look around your folders for them... this depends on how you've organized your website things locally on your computer.

EDIT: CuteNews has a backup module but it's always good to keep a backup on your local hard drive. If something happens to the CuteNews folder, the backups will be gone, too. Moreover, the backups only make a copy of the active news, comments and the archives but not of your users or your settings. Sporadically downloading the entire /cdata/ folder will make you fully covered.

Speaking of archives, are you downloading those as well? That might be another thing to consider as well.

Thanks LKj https://cutephp.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Apart from backing up Cutenews from the CuteNews based website online, what is the best way to have a CuteNews website backed

Hi

Apart from backing up Cutenews from the CuteNews based website online, what is the best way to have a CuteNews website backed up to my local drive.  At present I just download the CuteNews Data file to my website(s). This creates a copy of the complete CuteNews Data file on my offline website. I then rename it eg. Data-23-may-2013. Next week I might dowload the Data file again (depending on how much news I have uploaded).  Rename the Data file and so. The rationale is that I have my website and a recent Data file at home in case the remote server fails. I was wondering whether all I need to do is download news.txt?

just want to look around,