1 (edited by 2008-07-27 17:58:09)

Topic: [FAQ] Why does my post have lots of empty space in it?

[EDIT]
this post was for CN versions that not have wysiwygs.
If you don't use the wysiwyg this post might still be usefull.

A common problem for new users is when they post an item that has both plain text and html. Cutenews works in a way that converts all new lines in the textbox where you enter news to
tags.

Say you have the following post:

Today I went out fishing, here's some photos from the trip:

<table>
<tr><td>image1</td><td>image2</td></tr>
<tr><td>image3</td><td>image4</td></tr>
</table>

Nice photos, huh?

By default, this will be the code cutenews outputs when showing the news:

Today I went out fishing, here's some photos from the trip:

<table>

<tr><td>image1</td><td>image2</td></tr>

<tr><td>image3</td><td>image4</td></tr>

</table>

Nice photos, huh?

Now, that'd add lots of excess newlines you didn't intend to have in your post. To solve this problem, you should make sure you do the following when using using html in your news: Click the [options] link and make sure the checkbox about "convert newlines to
" isn't checked while "use html in this post is checked".

That should remove all the excess whitespace, but you'll now also have to place the non-html text inside <p> tags, ie "<p>Today I went out fishing, here's some photos from the trip:</p>"

2 (edited by 2008-07-27 17:58:23)

Re: [FAQ] Why does my post have lots of empty space in it?

This concerns when using the wysiwyg.
Now be aware that the wysiwyg is javascript and that javascript is parsed (or in normal words: reading the code and giving a nice output on your screen)
by the browser so don't ask questions like "FF doesn't have spaces, but IE does". Because that's due to the browser. There's nothing we can do about this.

Some additional clarification:
When pressing enter in IE, the javascript will make new lines by making paragraphs <p></p>
While in FF it'll use

obviously those 2 aren't the same tags and thus they do create a different look.
You can always use css to alter the defination for space of <p> of

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

CutePHP Forums → Hacks & Tricks / FAQ → [FAQ] Why does my post have lots of empty space in it?

The pun_antispam official extension is installed. Copyright © 2003–2009 PunBB.