Topic: Journalists can file unapproved news

I have successfully adapted the hack
https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33970
to work with versions 1.5*

Note that earlier published versions of this hack such as https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtop...p;hl=journalist
do not work in 1.5*

In Inc/options.php find:

// General
    echo "<tr style='' id=general><td colspan=10 width=100%><table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=100%>";

Add after:

showRow(lang("Approve Journalist"), lang("if not, Journalists can post without approval"), makeDropDown(array("yes"=>"Yes","no"=>"No"), "save_con[use_approve]", "$config_use_approve"));

In inc/addnews.php find:

if ($member_db[UDB_ACL] > 2)

Change to:

if ($member_db[UDB_ACL] > 3)

Find:

if ($member_db[UDB_ACL] == ACL_LEVEL_JOURNALIST or $postpone_draft == "draft")
        {
            // if the user is Journalist, add the article as unapproved
            $decide_news_file       = SERVDIR."/cdata/unapproved_news.txt";
            $added_time             = time() + $config_date_adjust*60;
            $postpone               = false;
            $unapproved_status_msg  = lang("The article was marked as Unapproved!");

Change to:

if ((($member_db[UDB_ACL] == ACL_LEVEL_JOURNALIST) and $config_use_approve == "yes") or $postpone_draft == "draft")
        {
            //modified- if the user is Journalist, and approval is on, add the article as unapproved
            $decide_news_file       = SERVDIR."/cdata/unapproved_news.txt";
            $added_time             = time() + $config_date_adjust*60;
            $postpone               = false;
            $unapproved_status_msg  = lang("The article was marked as Unapproved!");

Important: DO NOT edit options.php in Dreamweaver or other similar html/php programs as this will cause the options panel to malfunction. Only edit in notepad.

This works fine and adds an option in System Configurations/General for Admin to permit journalists to file upapproved news.

However, it applies to ALL journalists - if enabled or not, then all journalists can either file or are unable to file unapproved news.

QUESTION
Is it possible to further modify this to be able to apply the setting to individual journalists, perhaps by adding a further option to Admin in the Add/Edit Users section of the admin panel?

Cheers!

2 (edited by 2014-01-09 09:23:18)

Re: Journalists can file unapproved news

Good work Newsmedia.

Is it possible to further modify this to be able to apply the setting to individual journalists

Yes, but I suspect no one is going to give time to this because the facility is built in to the Latest version 2.
In Cutenews 2 you can create new groups where journalists can or cannot post  and then assign users to the groups.

3 (edited by 2014-01-12 22:59:15)

Re: Journalists can file unapproved news

Good work Newsmedia.

Yes, but I suspect no one is going to give time to this because the facility is built in to the Latest version 2.
In Cutenews 2 you can create new groups where journalists can or cannot post  and then assign users to the groups.

Thanks for the comment, but I have continuing problems with v2.

I log in as admin, then when I file news, it logs me out and no news is filed.
I log back in and get a blank page.

In effect I find v 2 a little useless as a production version in its present state.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

CutePHP Forums → Problem Solving / Help & Support → Journalists can file unapproved news