Re: Wishes for future versions of CuteNews

gristy,Mar 13 2005, 08:44 PM wrote:

sorry if this has already been brought up guys but i didnt really have time to read the previous 5 pages...

it would be fantastic (i would say essential) to be able to edit the on screen order of news posts after you've made them
[right][snapback]34010[/snapback][/right]

like in order of category?

Guest,Mar 8 2005, 03:41 PM wrote:

can you programming a auto-delete-function, well when a article for example 2 years old is, then => Auto Delete?
[right][snapback]33258[/snapback][/right]

I'm thinking of making autoarchive, that whenever an article is older than a specified date it gets automatically moved to the archive. Maybe someone made this already but w/e.
About auto-delete, I think that's something nobody would use anyway, if you think your archive or news.txt is too big, just once a year manually edit it and take the lost 200 lines away or something. If you want to see which date it is, put the first number into <?PHP echo date("D M Y","1110670102"); ?> and you'll see what date that line is. Remove the corresponding lines from comments.db.php.

olivier,Mar 13 2005, 07:54 PM wrote:

like in order of category?
[right][snapback]34011[/snapback][/right]

no

in any order you want

so the list of news is totally customisable...

gristy,Mar 14 2005, 07:41 PM wrote:

no

in any order you want

[right][snapback]34224[/snapback][/right]

cutehack automatically arranges them by date (in the case that the dates have been mixed up)

and yes oliver there is an auto archive hack but it doesnt work woth shit on 1.3.6 and cutehack

gristy,Mar 15 2005, 01:41 AM wrote:

no

in any order you want

[right][snapback]34224[/snapback][/right]

so on any element in the newsarchive huh. It would be good for some to be able to categorize on submitter, for the rest I can't think of something.

106 (edited by 2005-03-15 14:38:40)

NyNe,Mar 15 2005, 12:47 AM wrote:

cutehack automatically arranges them by date (in the case that the dates have been mixed up)

and yes oliver there is an auto archive hack but it doesnt work woth shit on 1.3.6 and cutehack
[right][snapback]34225[/snapback][/right]

not so that they are in order of date, so that they are in any order you want them to be.

for example, i use cutenews as a next gigs list for my mate's band's website, so he (who knows nothing about web design) can just logon and add gigs to the list. i have it so that the oldest news is at the top, so that the earliest gig entry is at the top...

the problem is that when he gets a gig that is before their current last gig, that listing appears at the bottom and the list of gigs is not in order of when the gigs are. god that was difficult to explain. i hope it makes sense.

at the moment there are two solutions but neither of them are suitable for me:

A) use the alphabetical sort code - and then make sure the title of the news is the date of the gig. the problem with this is that i'm in the UK and i would have to use a date format that makes no sense in order for it to work - i.e 2004/03/15

B ) use the cutedateedit program which means you download the news.txt file and edit the times the news items were posted and then reupload the news.txt file. the problem with this is that my mate knows nothing about FTP, i don't want him to have my FTP password, its a lot of hassle and it generally defeats the point of using cutenews....

ok, so i could use some calendar program instead of cutenews, but it would be so much better if you could just go to edit news and then be able to drag and drop the order, or even just renumber the news articles....

this is the website im talking about http://www.thefishbrothers.co.uk/

as i had said, cutehack can handle this

in cutehack you can set the date for news (gigs) when adding or editing, and when news is displayed it is automatically displayed in order of the date the post has, not the date it was posted (or reverse order)

therefore if you have a schedule looking like this

monday
wednesday
saturday

and you go to add, and add a show with the date for friday it will display in order like so

monday
wednesday
friday
saturday

NyNe,Mar 17 2005, 12:27 AM wrote:

as i had said, cutehack can handle this

in cutehack you can set the date for news (gigs) when adding or editing, and when news is displayed it is automatically displayed in order of the date the post has, not the date it was posted (or reverse order)

therefore if you have a schedule looking like this

monday
wednesday
saturday

and you go to add, and add a show with the date for friday it will display in order like so

monday
wednesday
friday
saturday
[right][snapback]34564[/snapback][/right]

right, this sounds promising - excuse my ignorance, but is cutehack an online thing?

do i install cutehack onto my webspace, replacing my existing cutenews folder - so that the band can logon as usual - but then have the ability to edit the post times etc?

the only reason i ask, is my main problem is i want my computer illiterate friends to be able to edit the post times online....

gristy,Mar 16 2005, 07:35 PM wrote:

right, this sounds promising - excuse my ignorance, but is cutehack an online thing?

do i install cutehack onto my webspace, replacing my existing cutenews folder - so that the band can logon as usual - but then have the ability to edit the post times etc?

the only reason i ask, is my main problem is i want my computer illiterate friends to be able to edit the post times online....
[right][snapback]34565[/snapback][/right]

in my signature there is a link to the cutehack forum thread
it provides instructions on how to upgrade from cute news to cute hack
this should be helpful enough, but if not you can let me know and i can attempt a rescue wink

110 (edited by 2005-03-17 01:30:22)

I'd like to see some simple logging, I use CN on a couple of community sites as pretty much a CMS, I have about 15 journolists and 2 editors on one site and I would like to have simple logging of who edits what.

This could be done, for example in addnews.mdu, above msg(etc) at the bottom of the file:

$logit = fopen("./log.txt","a");
fwrite($logit,$member_db[2]."with ip ".$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']." added news with title ".$title." to ".$category." on ".date("M Ds Y h:i a",$added_time)."\n";
fclose($logit);

Of course this is only a rough draft tongue

I'm sorry to say I'm a bit confused about this forum because, for one thing, the users of CuteNews don't know when the next release will take place and, for the orther thing, there's a nasty dispute among some CN hackers. This situation is negative for everybody but specially for those like me who are waiting for new CN changes to update our hacks or addons. Will the next release be similar to CuteHack? Will it be the same as it is now but with some bug fixes? Will it have new options? These are some questions that hover above our heads and that need to land on safe ground. This is a very busy forum which needs a bit of order and clear things. But it is a good forum, so let's not spoil it.

I'm form Poland and If I can add sth wish something, it'll be:

1) A list of used buttons and texts so that people who do not use English can easy change them for they own language.

2) A charset which will be used for CuteNews.

It' s quite difficult for me now to change a charset and use Polish signs like ł, ą, ę, ć, ś for example. Hmm... i'm not very precisious, I'v already change them so i can show them on page with news but, when i done it, the prewiev of news to add goes wrong, and now i do not have polish signs in it (in prewiev of adding anews).

If someone now where, in what file i can change this settings/add a line of code, please help me, and write on: michros@wp.pl

AND ONE MORE, I'm very sorry for my english sad

An inclooded forum and a pool... all editable in the cutenews administration panel and activetable in the cutenews options... with editable templates.....
All that with out any mysql support...

wouldn't a forum make cutenews into a CMS instead of a newsposting system?

Its a news management system here people, try and remember that tongue

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a newsletter function would be nice, or something along the lines of a signup to receive new articles posted.

I added a manual checkbox in the register form, so that people could signup for a newsletter, and have it so that you can see an "on" in editusers. Has to be done manually though.

Check here: https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6941

Hi there.
While using cutenews, I found that the only way to show news- list them by date or reverse them. Its completely OK when you alredy browsing a category, BUT there is no possibility to publish news by categories on the main page like:

Cat1
news1
news2
new2

Cat2
news1
news2
news3

etc...

So I guess it will be nice to have that possibility of publishing news in new version.

thx

120 (edited by 2005-04-06 20:25:08)

What like:

Cat 1
<?PHP
$category = "1";
include("etc...");
?>
Cat 2
<?PHP
$category = "2";
include("etc...");
?>

PLEASE the ability to  select what what  you want archived, and what you dont, PLEASE, lol thank you

Hi guys!

I've not posted here in a LONG time, but some people will remember me for introducing plugins into CuteNews and more specifically: eruin's AJ-Fork.

I apologise if I'm repeating everyone else in the thread here - it's got pretty big and I'm not in the mood to read them all right now. I've also not sen the code for about a year, so I don't know what features have been done in that time. So here's my thoughts:

* Database storage. MySQL, PostgreSQL & SQLite. Passwords in files is not a problem - almost every single PHP script has a password stored in this way as a flat file somewhere (usually in a config file, with permissions set so that it cant be editted).
* Front-end code separated from the core code. I've not seen the most recent CN code, but last time I looked it was a disgusting mix switching in and out of HTML all the time. This should not occur.
* Friendly URLs. Every blog system should be able to do this, IDs should NOT be in the URL in this case - especially if a database is supported (records can be moved to another server where the ID may have changed).
* Plugin/API calls throughout the code. This is a major feature of WordPress, Drupal, and many other big PHP scripts. Plugins bring in more developers and extra functionality. I saw that someone mentioned that all functions should be built in (e.g. auto-archive) - plugins are used to stop the core code getting bloated with unused features.
* Valid XHTML & CSS admin interface and news output
* RSS feeds built in (without having to set up a new template etc etc)
* Internationalisation + localisation. Preferably in a database, file-based if neccessary.
* Multiple categories per news item.
* Subcategories

Some ideas:
* Full podcasting support, with RSS encapsulation, file upload, etc
* Multiple authors per news item
* Multiple news sites run from one script (without messing with categories)

That's all for now. I might check back tomorrow some time smile

I'm still reading through the wishlist but I wanted to add my 2cents.

I would like to see:

1. Multiple categories and avatars.  For example if a news story fits into several categories, it would be nice to have it list under each, especially in searches.

2.  Easier method of commentor registration.  I never could get the current hack to work to my satisfaction.

3.  Mailing list notify capability.  In other words, I'd like to allow people to sign up for emails notifying them of updates (new news, edited news) to the site.

I'm really looking forward to the next version.  I have plans to use it to display my art portfolio and I may create a photo gallery as well.  I'm also considering trying to convert my greymatter blog to CuteNews.  In fact, if there was a conversion tool for that too, I wouldn't mind.   tongue

124 (edited by 2005-04-07 02:00:13)

Oh, two more.

It'd be neat to have an avatar or bullet that signifies something is "new" -- say it was posted in the last 7 days or something.

Also, it would be nice for the article author to receive email when a commented is added to a story.

Also, it would be nice for the article author to receive email when a commented is added to a story.

https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4630