(2 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

News that has not been posted to a category.
https://cutephp.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Thanks Damoor

I have tried searching the forum on this but only get an error page after searching 'free news only'

Clicking Edit News opens the list of news but what is the

'free news only'

listing to the left above the main list of categories?

Puzzled
https://cutephp.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

(5 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Sorry, I saw this topic but didn't reply to it as I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to plugins. What I know is the following:

- You can find a list of official plugins here: https://cutephp.com/cutenews/plugins.php
- Information about developing plugins are in this topic.
- When you install CuteNews, a folder /cutenews/cdata/plugins/ is created. It's my understanding that you just drop the plugin files in there. But I wouldn't put my hand in the fire.

Unfortunately folks CKfinder for Cutenews 2 just doesn't work.

When uploaded and all instructions are correctly followed, it knocks out CKEditor completely.
I have enabled CKEditor as advised, no joy. Disabled it, re-enabled it, logged out, logged back in - no CKEditor.

Think again please, code writers.

Hi

Just want to point out that the use of any special characters anywhere in either the news headline or the news body content will break and invalidate any news rss feed from the system.

This outcome occurs regardless of any character settings applies through the Dashboard systems settings.

Hoping that this can be addressed.

Rgds

(0 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Can someone from support come back with an explanation of how to successfully embed a youtube video into news as none of the options given in this forum appear to work

(10 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Add additional fields:

Field type: Text
Name: Videopost
Description: Youtube Video

HTML code template:  (variant 1)

<div class="PostFullStoryVideo" data-videopost="{videopost}"></div>

Jquery script:

<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function() {
    var getvideoidpost = $('.PostFullStoryVideo').attr('data-videopost');
    $(this).html('<iframe width="540" height="304" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/' + getvideoidpost + '?rel=0&autoplay=1&showinfo=0&controls=1&HD=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>');
});
</script>

Or without script simple html: (variant 2)
HTML code template:

<iframe width="540" height="304" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/{videopost}?rel=0&autoplay=1&showinfo=0&controls=1&HD=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi

Maybe I'm missing something, but I cn't see just how to implement this so the video is actually embedded in the news - when I hit Edit the video just disappears...

(0 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Will someone from admin kindly put the correct data on here as to how to make use of the search facility.

We need the correct method of including the code.

The info in the help file that comes with Cute is contradictory and double dutch to say the best.

With the current 'advised' use, the results are first:-

'Too short"
and another search box is then shown

or an include error message is displayed despite the correct include being coded

Thanks

I am successfully running a freshly installed version of the latest V2 release.

By copying my v1.53 archive content folder to the cdata folder, I was able to 'convert' the archives and they are now visible in control panel and accessible to visitors.

However, when called up the pages display all html mark-up, for example:

SWPP & BPPA UK Photographic Convention 

27 Dec 2006 filed by the Editor

<FONT size=2>
<P align=justify>Kick-off 2007 in style!
Following months of planning, the 2007 Photographic Convention is just days</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT size=2>away. With record advance bookings this is set to be the biggest event of it's</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT size=2>kind ever set in London With over 150 hours of prime photographic education, a</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT size=2>massive 200 exhibitor Trade Show and great parties on offer this is surely the</FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2> </FONT><FONT size=2>place to be for an inspiring start to a new year.</P></FONT>

To see live examples - go to www.newsmedianews.com/diarch.php and click on any archive and open an archived item

The archived content has been correctly filed in php and related .txt files files in the  cdata/news folder

Although these can be edited, removing any of the html mark-up, even a single font tag such as <p> results in an error and the system reporting that it cannot find the archived item (number xxxxxxx)

How can this converted archive content be made to correctly display when called?

We will be working at these bugs, thank you for your detailed and thorough compilation.

Cutenews V2
Captcha not working -(two separate installations - same problem) ... sorted - admin cannot see the captcha unless the  'Forget Me' button is clicked ... duh ...

Also keeps unexpectedly logging me out as admin ... not sorted but not a big prob, just an annoyance.

It seems to me what is really needed is a well put together user manual covering installation in good detail and also covering how to make the best use of Cutenews etc etc.

I will get my head around this - won't be ready in a short time but I will make it a project and I will compile a comprehensive manual in a pdf file that you can decide if you wish to include in the download.

Cheers!
https://cutephp.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

I wish you luck, Its got to be frustrating.  As this is a free (more or less) profuct though you get what you pay for.    https://cutephp.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif    Not trying to be mean but I see alot of questions being posted on the forums and no answers ...........................  Good Luck in either case.

Thank you.

Finally got the system fully working (v2) except for the search facility.

Rgds

Hi 

I am deeply grateful to all who have worked on building Cutenews as a publishing system.

May I take the liberty of offering a suggestion or two as someone who has over 30 years direct experience in the world of news writing and editing . . . and who worked with one of the very first newspapers in the world to switch over to computers and 'direct input' ...

Cutenews versions 1.4/5 are still plagued by the CSRF bug that prevents it being used on later editions of browsers and php. I have also encountered the CSRF failure in V2 ....

I have been using Cutenews since its very first version and recently had to upgrade to V2, as all other versions failed to work correctly.

I have been completely unable to successfully upgrade or migrate  to a fully functioning version of V2.

In fact after many hours of trying to upgrade, I have now effectvely 'lost' more than 10 years of archived material.

I still have the archives OK, in the ealier formats, but can you imagine manually entering over 10 years of archived material?.

One of the great benefits of versions 1.4 and 1.5 was that you could manually edit both the user and the category databases.

As I have over 180 users and over 200 categories, you can see that such an ability is priceless to keep the categories in some sort of workable order on both the drop down and the menu listings.

Such a process is now not possible in V2 and that is a major drawback in using Cutenews in any sort of production environment.

When I attempted to upgrade and migrate, the categories became jumbled up.

On completing the migration I also found that V2 did not operate at its full capacity in several respects.

The only alternative now is for me to work from a fresh install, manually entering all users and categories by hand - that's nearly 400 entries  to plough through.

And then when the time comes to add say another user or category, it is impossible to slip them into any sort of order and they must be entered at the end of the lists.

As you will appreciate, with over 200 ordered categories of news, by subject and country, that is not an ideal situation.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention as somone who actually does know the full ins and outs of what is needed from a news publishing system.

I know news and editing inside out - you guys know coding !! 

Hoping you can take this on board.

Best Wishes
K

(9 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

I made a test Template:
Short Story:

<!-- post -->
<div class="post">
<h1>[url={phpself}?id={page_alias}]{title}[/url]</h1>
<div class="n-comments">News</div>

<!-- shadow -->
<div class="thumb-shadow">

<!-- post-thumb -->
<div class="post-thumbnail">
<!-- meta -->
<ul class="meta">
 * <strong>Posted on</strong> {Date} 

* <strong>By</strong> [url=#]Ansimuz[/url]

*  <strong>Posted in</strong> 
<div class="meta-tags">
{tagline}
</div>

</ul>
<!-- ENDS meta -->
[url={phpself}?id={page_alias}][img]{NewsImage_Big}[/img][/url]
</div>
<!-- ENDS post-thumb -->

<div class="the-excerpt">
{short-story}
</div>
[url={phpself}?id={page_alias}]<span>Read more</span>[/url]

</div>
<!-- ENDS shadow -->
</div>
<!-- ENDS post -->

FULL Stroy:

<!-- Posts -->
<div id="posts" class="single">

<!-- post -->
<div class="post">
<h1>[url={phpself}?id={page_alias}]{title} TEST[/url]</h1>

<!-- shadow -->
<div class="thumb-shadow">

<!-- post-thumb -->
<div class="post-thumbnail">
[img]{NewsImage_Big}[/img]
</div>
<!-- ENDS post-thumb -->
 <div>
<p>{full-story}</p>
 </div>
 </div>
<!-- ENDS shadow -->

<!-- meta -->
<ul class="meta">
 * <strong>Posted on</strong> {date} 

* <strong>By</strong> [url=#]Ansimuz[/url]

*  <strong>Posted in</strong> 
<div class="meta-tags">
{tagline}
</div>

</ul>
<!-- ENDS meta -->    
</div>
</div>

in my PHP iam using:

$category = "4";
    $number = "10"; 
    $PHP_SELF = "testing.php";
    $template = "test";                                     
    include("admin/show_news.php");

the problem is, that it use the Default Template for the FULL STORY

Thanks for posting the code - sorry I can't help.

This looks like an issue with use of a page alias and probably needs to be addressed by the script coders.

How did you fix the problem with Default Template
if i use my own template, it works for the Short Story but it use the default template if i want to see the full Story

Check the full story code section of your own template - if it works on the short story there is some code error of some sort.

Can you post the code of the template here ?

Iam not shure if i get it right..
try this:

In the same page like index.php:

<form  method="get" id="searchform" action="index.php">
    <input type="hidden" name="dosearch" value="Y" />

<input type="text" value="Suche..." name="search" id="s" onfocus="defaultInput(this)" onblur="clearInput(this)" />
    <input type="submit" id="searchsubmit" value=" " />
    </form>

<?php

/* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Here we decide what page to include
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ */
                if ($_GET['search'])
                {
                    include ("admin/search.php");
                }
                elseif ($_GET['do'] == 'archives')
                {
                    include ("admin/show_archives.php");
                }
                elseif ($_GET['do'] == "stats")
                {
                    echo "You can download the stats addon and include it here to show how many news, comments ... you have"; // include("$path/stats.php");
                }
                else
                {
                    include ("admin/show_news.php");
                }

?>

How did you fix the problem with Default Template
if i use my own template, it works for the Short Story but it use the default template if i want to see the full Story.

Hi

Thanks for your reply - tried it with the correct changes for file names, box shows OK but no search results returned.

Hi
After spending countless hours I have finally managed to get Cutenews V2 correctly running on my two websites, having changed from previous versions.

The latest version is installed - the only changes I have made are to add extra links at the top of the control panel via default.skin.php. This does not impact at all on any other functions.

However, no matter what I try I am unable to place a working search box on my main news page.

I have tried all recommended versions of the search code without success.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

The pages have two show_news.php includes on the pages, one to show the short story and one to show the headlines only.

The pages can be seen at these links:

http://www.newsmedianews.com/headlines.php
and
http://www.thetruth.ie

I would like the seach box ( and results) to appear beneath the text

This page shows all items filed for the current month.

in the middle section of the page.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

As no response was forthcoming from any of the support crew to what I found to be a major issue that disrupted the operation of two of my sites, I have spent the last 48 hours examining why:

* inserting links failed and broke the text of the story
* facebook/twitter etc plugins failed to work
* justifying text jumbled the content

and many more less worrisome but nonetheless annoying bugs

The solution?

DO NOT MIGRATE FROM PREVIOUS VERSIONS TO VERSION 2 as detailed in the installation/upgrade/migrate help instructions

This causes all of the issues I have referred to.

Back up your previous version to you PC, ensuring that you have all uploaded files and images saved as well. Rename the live website root folder to ****bak (important)

Install a fresh version (you can use the same root folder name as the original installation to avoid rebuilding any links on your site).
Log in and create your admin account and ensure all is working correctly by posting a few test items.

When you are sure it is working correctly log out, and you now have two options:

1. If you did not make any changes to the Cutenews files in cdata, upload the old cdata folder to the new installation.
    Log in and check if you have the correct categories/users showing. If not, go to Maintenance and convert the previous installation

2. If you did make changes to any cdata files, upload those files after you are sure all is working OK.

Likewise if you customised any core folder files.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issues I have been encountering.

It has cleared all errors on my two separate installations.

Except for one issue - inserting links do not work in IE11 - this is a bug of Internet Explorer and not Cutenews.

Cheers !

Hello,

I have tried to replicate the justifying text and the hyperlink insert.

At my side, the justify seems to work fine. There wasn't any lost of story text anywhere. Did you upgrade to the latest GitHub version?

As for the insert hyperlink, I can confirmed that it isn't working in IE11 (it worked fine in Firefox).

I haven't tested the fb comments and twitter yet because I don't intend to use them for now, so can't confirm on these.

Hi

I have now traced the justification & resulting loss of content issue to having convert ASCI to html disabled.
When enabled the issue has not returned (yet ... )

Justifying text results in huge chunks of the story vanishing. This is a cross browser issue.

Inserting hyperlinks does not function in IE11

These errors follow upgrading from version 1.5 to v2 on one site.

On another site the same errors are encountered with a fresh installation.

I  have also been completely unable to implement facebook comments and the twitter button, despite following all advice on this forum.

fb comments and twitter worked fine in v1.5

Can someone please respond to this.

(2 replies, posted in Script Feedback and Suggestion)

Hi

I have been making extensive use of Cutenews for the past 14 years or about.

I recently reluctantly upgraded from 1.53 to v3 - due to an unresolvable crsf_is_missing error which prevented manual archiving, category/user editing/ and news deletion.

I now use v2 on two live and different sites.

Is there a way to add a checkbox/button/link next to the drop down category selection in Add News so that a user may toggle between drop down menu and category listing view without the necessity for this to be first set in Control Panel by admin?

Cheers and thanks in advance

(10 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Hello, I have a question regarding cutenews with Youtube ...

To put videos on the page, you have to insert the code [Youtube] video link [/ Youtube] since the other code to insert me nothing comes ...

The problem with this code is that the video is in the original size of the video and because of my web design is not good, since I need to do the narrowest video.

But I do not know how! And I find nothing on the net.

Could someone help me??

thanks

There are two ways to do this.

1. Get the embed code from youtube and click Source to insert it into your news then change the values of the embed code:
    <iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="359" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/example?feature=player_detailpage" width="640"></iframe></p>

or

2. Resize the video using the drag handles visible at each corner after inserting the embed code

Users of Internet Explorer 11 and Cutenews 1.5* may have noticed difficulties in using the CKeditor to add or edit news.
This can be overcome by switching on Compatibility View in IE11 from the Tools menu, but this can cause other issues in viewing pages of your site.

The problem is caused by an IE rendering bug that has not been addressed in either Cutenews or Internet Explorer.

To resolve this issue without having to use Compatibility View, in a text editor open the files

(root) index.php
inc/editnews.php
inc/addnews.php

and add the following lines before <?php at the very start of the files:

<!doctype html>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9">
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8;">

That's it!

V 1.53
Is there a way to set the correct chronological order for archives instead of the haphazard listing ?

Hi, tis me again - am trying hard to tweak version 2 to be suitable to my needs in a production environment

Is there a way to add a checkbox/button/link next to the drop down category selection in Add News so that a user may toggle between drop down menu and category listing view?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Hello,

Just to confirm so the incompatibility issue with IE11 only appears when you edit the news using CKEditor?

Hi

Yes, correct. It is confined to IE - the problems does not exist in Chrome.

adding a hyperlink in a template to return to reopen existing page doesn't show

Facebook buttons/comment box fail to show altogether.

After extensive experimentation with V2, it appears to have serious incompatibility issues with Internet Explorer 11, as Cutenews page rendering is set to Edge (emulation), preventing correct functioning of the CKEditor

Posts found: 51 to 75 of 119

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

CutePHP Forums → Posts by Newsmedia

The pun_antispam official extension is installed. Copyright © 2003–2009 PunBB.