Good work Newsmedia.

Yes, but I suspect no one is going to give time to this because the facility is built in to the Latest version 2.
In Cutenews 2 you can create new groups where journalists can or cannot post  and then assign users to the groups.

Thanks for the comment, but I have continuing problems with v2.

I log in as admin, then when I file news, it logs me out and no news is filed.
I log back in and get a blank page.

In effect I find v 2 a little useless as a production version in its present state.

I have successfully adapted the hack
https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33970
to work with versions 1.5*

Note that earlier published versions of this hack such as https://cutephp.com/forum/index.php?showtop...p;hl=journalist
do not work in 1.5*

In Inc/options.php find:

// General
    echo "<tr style='' id=general><td colspan=10 width=100%><table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width=100%>";

Add after:

showRow(lang("Approve Journalist"), lang("if not, Journalists can post without approval"), makeDropDown(array("yes"=>"Yes","no"=>"No"), "save_con[use_approve]", "$config_use_approve"));

In inc/addnews.php find:

if ($member_db[UDB_ACL] > 2)

Change to:

if ($member_db[UDB_ACL] > 3)

Find:

if ($member_db[UDB_ACL] == ACL_LEVEL_JOURNALIST or $postpone_draft == "draft")
        {
            // if the user is Journalist, add the article as unapproved
            $decide_news_file       = SERVDIR."/cdata/unapproved_news.txt";
            $added_time             = time() + $config_date_adjust*60;
            $postpone               = false;
            $unapproved_status_msg  = lang("The article was marked as Unapproved!");

Change to:

if ((($member_db[UDB_ACL] == ACL_LEVEL_JOURNALIST) and $config_use_approve == "yes") or $postpone_draft == "draft")
        {
            //modified- if the user is Journalist, and approval is on, add the article as unapproved
            $decide_news_file       = SERVDIR."/cdata/unapproved_news.txt";
            $added_time             = time() + $config_date_adjust*60;
            $postpone               = false;
            $unapproved_status_msg  = lang("The article was marked as Unapproved!");

Important: DO NOT edit options.php in Dreamweaver or other similar html/php programs as this will cause the options panel to malfunction. Only edit in notepad.

This works fine and adds an option in System Configurations/General for Admin to permit journalists to file upapproved news.

However, it applies to ALL journalists - if enabled or not, then all journalists can either file or are unable to file unapproved news.

QUESTION
Is it possible to further modify this to be able to apply the setting to individual journalists, perhaps by adding a further option to Admin in the Add/Edit Users section of the admin panel?

Cheers!

(2 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

I have just tried to create a new backup and was told that it already exists. It doesn't. Tried again and got this error message: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in E:\domains\w\westwoodparish.co.uk\user\htdocs\cutenews\inc\tools.mdu on line 260

I have not see this before anyone any idea as to what has caused it?

CuteNews 1.4.6

It appears that only some of the backups were visible in the backup window. the backup did exist but I couldn't see it! Windows XP Pro and IE8.

Use an ftp program to download the back-up folder to your local system, and then delete the remote backups by ftp.

Try and create a new backup after doing this.

(0 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Hi

the option $nocategory does not work

using v2.0.2
Cheers!

sooooo.. i dont know what happened, but my login form itself does not show up when i go to my sign in page (http://alec.loveflakes.net/CuteNews/) and i don't know how to get it back?!
i don't remember deleting or editing any of the CuteNews files so i literally have no clue what went wrong hmm
anybody know why this could be happening and/or how i could fix it?

Hi

What happens when you re-upload the original index.php page?

Hi

try changing your include codes to the full path (see the installation help document)

HAPPY NEW YEAR folks

I have looked for an answer to this but your search facility appears limited in scope.

I run two separate installations of cutenews on two websites.

Can I show on site 1 the news items from site 1 and below that also the news items from site 2 ?

Appreciate any advice on this - thanks

Hi

I am using Cutenews on two different websites - same basic configurations and both work well.

I have enabled the facebook comments plugin from cutenews control panel on both sites, (set not to show in active news)

I could not figure out what the AppID is so left the entry blank.

item snipped ....

Now working - item closed.
Cheers!

(4 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Having now installed a fresh, unaltered version of the latest Cutenews release (2)

I have to post here that I will NOT be upgrading to this.

I consider this version is a retrograde step:

<ol type='1'> *  It constantly logs me out (as admin) when I am using the dashboard.
*  The wysiwyg editor looks amateurish and scattered about the page in standard view though it does display more proficiently in maximised window view.
*  There is no option to send to or retrieve from archives in the edit news window.
*  It does not correctly import templates from a previous installation (minor issue but...)
</ol>

I am launching a new current affairs opinion website and was checking out the new version to see it was suitable.

Sadly it has failed. I had expected better from an upgrade as versions 1.5(+) were very good.

I will not be using this in a production environment as I consider it is too confusing for users.

I have left the new installation actively in place should anyone from Cutenews support wish to login as admin and see what is what. Please PM me for login details.

Disappointed.

Rgds
Keith

I get a error message when i try to make the link to the website, i made a local test setup to make sure everything is working corect.

Is there anyone who can help me out here???

I put in a screenshot as attachement.

Hi

Unless the file you are linking from is outside of the folder in which the show_news files resides, all you need is

<?php include("show_news.php"); ?>

(1 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

What is Dot Testing?

I believe it involves a lot of low paid workers sitting at tables testing the veracity of dots.

Today I clicked Update Cutenews from the control panel, was shown a list of files to be updated - all green and writable, red files indicating files that did not exist in my installation and presumably would be added during the update.

Click.

After about 30 seconds - Page Cannot Be Displayed error

Reopening the browser and what do I find
  -a Github page has replaced the Cutenews installation index page that redirects to a Github 404 error page.
  - deleting the index pasge and replacing it with the original does nothing. Trying to access my Cutenews installation
     just throws up the same error page.

There is no reference at all on the Github page to Cutenews. There is a search box but when used throws a page cannot be found error.

I am a registered user of your product.

What is going on here?

What browser and which Cutenews version are you using?

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. I am using V1.53 with some exceptions such as the facebook/twitter etc.
Updating to the latest online version always seems to break the installation.

The preview has never worked for my installations.

I am using IE11 - it didn't work on EI9 or 10.

You are welcome to login with administrator privileges should that assist. Please see your personal email folder for the details.

Kind regards
Keith

Hi all

I am using the latest Cutenews version and all works 100%, or rather 99.99%

No matter what I try, clicking the Preview button does nothing at all. It simply does not function.

Has anyone had this problem and been able to fix it?

Regards
Keith

<strike>
Thanks for your response Damoor - still doesn't work for me with the targets set as above.

I can't see any likely place to add changes in the template file...</strike>

Most strange - as my Preview button never worked I changed the code 'preview_hmtl' to 'preview_html' to see if it made any difference.

It didn't - the Preview still doesn't function but when I opened up the admin panel to test it, I found the link default target was showing as '_blank'

..... mysterious
Rgds
K

Managed now to set default target to _blank.

News Preview still does not function though.

Not fully tested but when I changed
D.target,'default':'notSet'
to D.target,'default':'_blank'
It did work.

<strike>
Thanks for your response Damoor - still doesn't work for me with the targets set as above.

I can't see any likely place to add changes in the template file...</strike>

Most strange - as my Preview button never worked I changed the code 'preview_hmtl' to 'preview_html' to see if it made any difference.

It didn't - the Preview still doesn't function but when I opened up the admin panel to test it, I found the link default target was showing as '_blank'

..... mysterious
Rgds
K

Hi

Has anyone been able to successfully change the CKEditor default link target window to _blank so when you click the add link button, enter an URL and move to the select target, _blank is already selected as default?

If so please post your method.

I have changed the following in \core\ckeditor\plugins\link\dialogs\links.js

type:'select',id:'linkTargetType',label:D.target,'default':'notSet'
to
type:'select',id:'linkTargetType',label:D.target,'default':'_blank'

and
type:'text',id:'linkTargetName',label:E.targetFrameName,'default':''
to
{type:'text',id:'linkTargetName',label:E.targetFrameName,'default':'_blank'

and
[D.targetNew,'notSet']
to
[D.targetNew,'_blank']

as recommended elsewhere but this does not work in CuteNews - the default link target remains <notSet>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

(3 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Probably have to go to Options / Sysconf / Customize CKEditor and set the parameters

['Bold','Italic','Underline','Strike','Blockquote','SpecialChar'],
['JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','JustifyBlock'],
['Undo','Redo','Find','RemoveFormat','NumberedList','BulletedList','Outdent','Indent','-','Maximize','Scayt','-','Source'],
['Styles','Format','Font','FontSize'],['TextColor','BGColor','Image','Table','HorizontalRule','Smiley','PasteFromWord'],
['Link','Unlink','Anchor'],

Hi Dolphin, thanks for your reply but I did try that, and after saving the configuration it made no difference at all.

(3 replies, posted in Problem Solving / Help & Support)

Hi team

I have tried several times to update to 1.5.3. from 1.5.1

The update goes through OK but that's about all.

When I re-enter as admin, the WYSIWYG editor show only very basic controls and not the full range of controls. Nothing I do seems to have any effect on this.

Help would be much appreciated.

Hi

Whenever I update Cutenews the system is broken. I get nothing but error messages, the wysiwyg editor fails to work - the list of errors goes on and on.

I have had to fully roll back the installation to previous, locally saved copies or Cutenews would be useless.

I have raised this issue before but it was washed over.

I would like to update from my current 1.5.1 to 1.5.3 but every time it screws up the installation.
The CKeditor reverts back to very basic settings and nothing I do seems to restore it to full functionality.

Can someone please help with this?

Cheers

(4 replies, posted in Site Showcase and Discussion)

I tried using these and the result when I click the Options button in control panel is:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/*******/public_html/newsin/inc/options.php on line 456

(4 replies, posted in Site Showcase and Discussion)

I thought I'd put my site here for appraisal. I am using v1.5.1 with some 1.5.2 and 1.5.3 mixed in. The functionality of Cutenews has been reduced since v1.4.7 due to the loss of sophisticated MODs that have not been replicated in the versions of 1.5.0 up.

For example, I have (so far) 166 categories and with 1.4.7 I was able to include code that enabled admin to restrict journalists to a specified category or group of categories.

Still, here it is
http://www.newsmedianews.com/headlines.php
and
http://www.newsmedianews.com/publishing.php

Cheers

Can we have a hack to exclude a particular category, much like at present categories can be included in show news by:

$category = "2";

Where someone has many categories, say 60, but does not want to show one or two categories, the only way to do this would be to include the code:

$category = "2,3,4";

etc for the whole category list barring those not wanted to be shown.

It would be much simpler to effect this with code such as

$nocategory = "2";

whereby all categories would be shown except for, in this case, category 2.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

The search function works except for when I click a link in the results. No story shows and the page returns to a blank search page.

Apart from the page header, the search page includes only the code:

<?PHP
   include("newsin/search.php");
?>

You can see the problem at http://www.newsmedianews.com/newsin/search.php
if you simply hit search with an empty box to call up all items and try clicking on a story link.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

APOLOGIES TO THE CUTENEWS TEAM ! ! !

I am fuming at Microsoft - this is an INTERNET EXPLORER 10 BROWSER issue !!

I accidentally logged in using Google Chrome and hey presto the CKEditor toolbar is fully functional.

ENDNOTE:
Switching to Compatibility View in Internet Explore also restores the CKEditor full functionality.

I have to add however that upgrading the 1.5.3 again breaks the CKEditor and I have been unable to restore its functionality. As I result I intend to remain with v1.5.2 until this is sorted.